Author Topic: Etherdongle/network issues  (Read 7388 times)

Offline animal

Re: Etherdongle/network issues
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, »
 lizard050,
            I've never had a problem going direct with my ETD. Even with my little netbook 1st gen atom loaded with windows 10 preview. I've been testing with xlights 6000 channels all week. Etd has been found every time. Now I've probably been lucky,and I run my display direct connected from my show computer for 2 years.
 Check your xlights set up. Delete any left over settings. Set up e1.31 protocol with 32 universes. Reboot ETD and controllers, and try a test. I  don't understand that you have a yellow fast blinking light and no output. It says to me a configure problem in the software. I'm only giving you what works for me. I'm just offering, maybe something you over looked or you could try.

animal

Offline lizard050

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, »
I've been able to get the fast blinking light both with direct connect and attached to my At&t gateway.  Just no light output.  I am suspicious that the ETD didn't program correct however.  Would I still get the fast blinking light if it was not programmed right?  Is there a specific Ip address your setting up in your direct connect?  I know its not any of the other hardware because they all work with xlights via a pixelnet dongle. 

The ETD should be flashed with pixelnetv2 not the DMx version correct?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, by lizard050 »
Brad
South Florida

Offline caretaker

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been able to get the fast blinking light both with direct connect and attached to my At&t gateway.  Just no light output.  I am suspicious that the ETD didn't program correct however.  Would I still get the fast blinking light if it was not programmed right?  Is there a specific Ip address your setting up in your direct connect?  I know its not any of the other hardware because they all work with xlights via a pixelnet dongle. 

The ETD should be flashed with pixelnetv2 not the DMx version correct?
The MAGjack will flash regardless whether the PIC on the conductor is flashed or not, or at least that is my understanding. This is the link to the file you should be flashing your Etherdongle with: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Also make sure you are only using the PicKit3 utility v1.0  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and Updated Device Database File: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Includes support for PIC32MX795F512L) *You will need to rename the file from .hex to .dat before copying to your PICkit3 installation folder. SPECIAL NOTE: Some users have experienced issues with flashing the EtherDongle PIC using the v3 Beta. If you have flashed the EtherDongle using v3 Beta and it does not appear to work (no PixelNet output), re-flash the PIC using the v1 Stand Alone Utility above. (From the WIKI)
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, »
The magjack is not an intelligent device and if the small pic is not programmed, the yellow light will not flash but this does not mean that there is not an issue with the PIC programming.  I would reflash the PIC and see what happens.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lizard050

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, »
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I am using a pickit 3 with the version 1 firmware from the wikki.  The pickit has been programming everything else fine.  I am wondering if I didn't put the devicefile.dat in the right spot.  The pickit 3 says it is writing to the pic and seems to verify.  After messing with this many time I did try and flash it with mplab. 
Brad
South Florida

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, »
Use the IPE program that comes with the mplabx download.  It has worked fine for me on everything I have.  I always go into advanced settings, power, and turn on the "supply power from the pickit" first.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lizard050

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, »
I'm restarting trying to trouble shoot these.   using the pick kit 3 with the MPLAB ipe program.  I tried reprogramming the 2 dongles. one was recognized and 1 was not.  As I just need to get 1 working I'll only be seeking help on that one at this time. 

It seems to program correctly.  If I do a "read" I get the checksum f8cd8eef back.

Assuming the etherdongle did program I then set it up in xlights.  I set up xlights using multicast e131.  starting universe 1, # of universes 32, one output is checked, channels set to 512. 

Etherdongle Green led is lit

When I run xlights in test mode I get the green magic jack light on and the yellow magic jack light will flash.  If I speed up the cycle speed in xlighs or use the rgb cycle tab with mixed color the yellow magic jack light will flash much faster.  Not sure if this means I am getting data from my lap top or not.

I am directly connecting my lap top to the etherdongle and I am not using a crossover cable.  I have tried many of the things discussed through the forum with no success.  Both etherdongles are from the January 2012 coop.  I believe this was the second etherdongle coop. 

I seem to be leaning to a set up issue vs hardware but am not 100% sure since 1 of the dongles will not even program maybe I messed this one up also.

Thanks for any help. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, by lizard050 »
Brad
South Florida