Author Topic: Flickering LE's  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Flickering LE's
« on: November 25, 2014, »
I have a flickering problem on 3 LE's that I just can't figure out (and from what I can see they are all incandescent channels).  After testing every combination known to man including different network cables, different network cables run, separating data and power, multiple dongles (Entec, Lynx, ED) ,multiple different LE controller swaps, firmware updates, terminators at all ends, different extension cords, different outlets,  LOR S3, xlights, recreating the sequence and even isolating my show to just this one controller (laptop, dongle and cat5 cable.   Other than this the other 25+ LE's are happy campers.

I think I have tried every combination known to man and the only thing I found so far for one controller is to eliminate programming on two channels.  Why this make a difference I have no idea.  As for responding to commands that they should they do this just fine.

My next test is to build a spare LOR board I had stashed just to see if that makes a difference but I'm not holding my breath.  I have used the same gear the last 3-4 of years and never remember seeing anything like this. 

Is there anything that I could be missing?  I've tried so many different things the problem could be staring at me and I might not see it. :)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Flickering LE's
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, »
did you try swapping/replacing the st-485 chips?
also try using output 1 as the input

just crazy me ideas :)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, »
I swapped out the whole controller on the one.  Luckily I have a handful of extra LE's.

Using the output 1 as the input.  Like running the RS485 chip in reverse?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, »
Maybe your power to them?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I swapped out the whole controller on the one.  Luckily I have a handful of extra LE's.

Using the output 1 as the input.  Like running the RS485 chip in reverse?

No, output 1 is in parallel with the input so what Rick has you doing is bypassing the input connector.  Connecting to output 2 should do nothing.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, »
I tried a different power cord and to a different output yesterday.  I'm half tempted to flip all the breakers in the house to see what happens.

I'll switch the input/output next.  We received snow last night so I'l loose my ambition until Friday when it melts.

Thanks everyone.