Author Topic: should i buy ws2811  (Read 2022 times)

Offline lawn patrol

should i buy ws2811
« on: November 27, 2014, »
Ive been reading a lot of post about ray wu ws2811 strips and I'm wondering if all the kinks have been worked out. I know this site doesn't support them but has anyone recently purchased them and are they working. If I'm able to use the ws2811 strips it would save me a ton compared to whats on wiki.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: should i buy ws2811
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, »
I had some but sold them all off.  They work fine with Lynx products.  The big issue for me is that while they are cheaper, when you turn on 1 channel 3 pixels in a row light up.  This is can be fine for house outlines and maybe arches, but not so good for a pixel based tree IMHO.  I prefer the TM1809 strips even though they are more expensive.  But I'm getting to be a bigger fan of the TM1804 nodes because they are more flexible in length of lights needed and much easier to repair when they do fail.  Just my 2 cents YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, »
I agree, the WS2811 strips have 3 LEDs controlled as a single pixel.  WS2811 Technicolor (new rev!!) do not have this problem, the IC controls only the single LED in the node.

I've used the WS2812B flex strips, and they work very well, and each LED is separately controllable.  In the pictures, look for cut-lines on the strip... if you can cut between each LED, then you know that that LED can be controlled separately from the other LEDs.

I also use TM1804... and they are good... when you don;t have a bad batch.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, »
im just starting out and right now only plan on outlining the house eaves, windows and doors. I really don't need each individual node controlled just the strip. The link for dumb strips in the wiki is no longer working and only had ip65 rating. I was thinking about buying from here

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, »
speaking of ws2811... the newer strips have 60 pixels/meter... and there was a video released today by Matt Johnson showing them in an arch.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro