Author Topic: New to Pixelnet  (Read 1441 times)

Offline chadowamsley

New to Pixelnet
« on: November 30, 2014, »
Hello,

I have ran Renard based controlelrs for 3 years but have been looking to make the jump into some pixels. Ive been reading and watching videos of the smart strings, hubs and sscs. Most of the videos I see say the hub can do 4096 channels, but other stuff I see mention 16,000 channels. Im planning to 32 strings of 48-50 nodes on a 10 foot tree. This would put me around 4800 channels which is over the 4096 limit.

I guess my question is if the edongle and hub are able to handle more than the 4096 limit now ?
And if I use 100 node string, am I able to program the ssc to have the first 50 nodes start at the bottom and then the second 50 run in reverse starting at the bottom and going up ?

If Im unable to reverse the second half of a string, I can just get a second hub and run the other 16 strings of 50 nodes from that ?

Im sorry if these questions have been answered, but I went through 6 pages in the smart string section and wiki, with no answer.

Thanks in advance for any help. Im def liking the power and data over the cat5 compared to other strings needing multiple power supplies.

Offline tbone321

Re: New to Pixelnet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I guess my question is if the edongle and hub are able to handle more than the 4096 limit now ?

A PixelNet universe is 4096 channels and that has not and AFAIK, will not change.  The ETD (EtherDongle) is capable of outputting 4 universes which is how it puts out over 16000 channels.  Each universe is carried on a separate wire pair on the CAT5 cable.  A hub does not handle channels but simply distributes the signal and power.  Since it can only work with 1 universe (selected by you), it is limited to the channel count of the universe.

And if I use 100 node string, am I able to program the ssc to have the first 50 nodes start at the bottom and then the second 50 run in reverse starting at the bottom and going up ?

The SSC does not have that capability but some of the sequencing software such as Nutcracker will allow you to define the string that way.

If Im unable to reverse the second half of a string, I can just get a second hub and run the other 16 strings of 50 nodes from that ?

You will need a second hub anyway if you are going to exceed 4096 channels but yes, you can do that but remember that you will also need 16 more SSC's as well.  If you are setting up a megatree, you may be better off using a Zeus controller.  The Zeus 16 combines the hub and 16 controllers into a single device AND allows each output to be assigned to the universe of your choice.  This eliminates the need for a second hub if the total count exceed 4096 channels. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, »
I'll look into the Zeus controllers. Thank you.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, »
definitely go with a zues.  the expense of the zues is the same as an active hub and you don't have the 12-14 dollar per ssc cost(x32).  I have a 32 string, 50 nodes per string mega tree and I use two zues V1.  good thing is the new design of the zues V2  will allow you to only use one zues. the V2 zues has a universe jumper on each string  so you could use  2 universes from one zues , if you have a large enough power supply. the cost for the 1 zues and a 1000 watt power supply run about the same as 2 zues and 2 600 watt power supplies so it's all on preference.  not sure what the input wattage capability of the zues is but I am sure it can handle it. you can use up to 128 nodes per string output on the V2 zues.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, »
Thank You. I def have to read up on this stuff. I spent some time looking at the e680 series but didnt really like what I was reading. The Lynx line of equipment looks better to me. Im still new to pixels so trying to do a lot of reading to understand universes and power requirements. But looks like a Zues will be a better bet for a megatree, and the hub with sscs would make more since for arches and minitrees when I get to that point. Thanks again for the replies.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, »
My thoughts: RGB is high risk, high reward.  Frustrating at times, but very gratifying when done right. 

First off, be sure to get your mind wrapped around some decent software.  It is still the weakest link.  I took to LSP like a fish to water, but many don't.  Try them all and decide for yourself.  LSP would allow any configuration like folding.  That said, I keep it simple.  Folding creates confusion and unnecessarily complex setups when adding new sequences.  There's no getting around it, you will need to splice and add connectors.  Split the string in 2, creating 2 50 counts.  Run each to a zeus string. 

I think a 360 degree mega is overkill unless it can be viewed 360 degrees.  I would advocate 180 degrees for most displays.  This drives cost, complexity, and channel count down drastically.  Zeus is THE controller for a mega.  I think a zeus with 16 strands is perfect for 10'.  While I've not added one myself.  I have spent much time and effort designing one and coincidently enough it is 180 degree, 16 strands, single zeus.  Think I went 32 nodes a string though. 

Now that you mention arches and minis, I run multiple zeus for ALL ground elements since I lost many SSCs from water/snow last year.  My fault, most just laid on the ground...  KEep in mind they need to stay close to the element.  Also, heads up the modules will need power injection. 

Ramble off...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, »
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to play with the software now, past month or so, trying to get an understanding. Using Vixen 2.1 the past 3 years makes it hard trying to get my mind past the grid style. Im playing with Vixen 3, LSP trial, HLS, Xlights, pretty much anything I can to find the one I like best. I def have to get a grasp on the software and sequencing part of it before I make the big investment. Just tired of paying 20 some dollars a string for 100 count LED, x 4 colors compared to 1 smart string for less money. Also trying to see how I can import my old sequences to the pixels.

Im just shooting  for 14 or 15 minitrees with 10 rows of 10 pixels for my first year. Really trying to not go to big as I tend to do.