Author Topic: in a jam  (Read 1322 times)

Offline therealbigjim

in a jam
« on: December 01, 2014, »
my dongle was working a week ago. plugged it in tonight and nothing. no mag jack lights but the power light is on;. I wanted to start my show on Saturday and I am in a little panic. nothing has changed from the working configuration.  I suck at searching old posts but I will start. I do have a usb dongle I could flash but would rather have the etherdongle working. I know recently someone else had a similar problem.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: in a jam
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, »
What do you have the ETD plugged into?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, »
Start with simple things:
cat5 cables.
Was new software added to you computer: security, firewall?
How long has it been since your router got restarted?
Check the connectors, plugs, network switches/splitters

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, »
I am embarrassed  <fp.  my problem was panic induced. My ETD was plugged directly into my computer. Recently I have doing some sequencing on the go trying to catch up. When I plugged the ETD back up I switched my inputs. The magjack side was plugged in to the input of the of the active hub , and the other side was plugged into my laptop. I was at my wits end....opened up the box the green light is on. I re-flashed the chip...(probably needed it anyway) but still no magjack lights..... until I looked at it again and switched the magjack to connect it to the computer...The lights lit and data was flowing....I have been doing this long enough I should know better but the stress of the little lights not blinking made me loose my mind. 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, »
Been there, done that.  Finally learned what PEBCAK means.  When I get stressed out I start making more bad decisions and I've learned that the best thing to do is to walk away for awhile, maybe overnight.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA