Author Topic: ATX power supply keeps turning itself off or won't turn on  (Read 6862 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Hmmm .... I bought several cheap Sentey power supply's (good specs, cheaper price) ... Bad idea!

It seems like these are working with my active hubs but seems to either turn off or won't power up consistently on the Zeus v1 or Zeus v2 boards.   

I wonder if its a lack of load that causes it to power off or fail to power on.

I've tried swapping power wires which does sometimes work, but then eventually the supply goes off again.   I've never given it much load ... So I think it's some of under voltage detection on the supply itself?

Any ideas on what might fix this?   At this point I just can't use these picky supplies with the Zeus.   I will never go with this brand again, despite th favorable reviews on Amazon.   I've never had a problem with my corsair, antec, roséwill or evga supplies.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Last year I got a case of CoolMax computer power supplies when there was a good sale. 
I had the same problem with the first three I attempted.
I returned them all to newegg and got my money back.

I've not had any problems with corsair and have stuck with them ever since.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Yes, I "knew" better ... but the price on 750w supply suckered me in.  By the way, all of these Sentey power supplies seem to work fine on the SS active hubs, but turn off after a few minutes when used on a Zeus v2 ... rendering them useless for my intended use.  I read that a small load on the 5v connection might fix it, but I don't know what I'd hook up to test that theory.  Maybe a small PC fan?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline caretaker

You can also add a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor between the 5v line and ground.  The resistor will get warm so make sure it is not touching anything that will melt.
Jeff Squires

Offline winwin

I read that a small load on the 5v connection might fix it, but I don't know what I'd hook up to test that theory.  Maybe a small PC fan?
When I was giving 5V RGB a try, I had a similar problem with an old (very very old) power supply and just hooking up anything to it from an PC I took apart would keep it running (hard drive, cd drive). Did not have a fan to try though.
AL.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Yes, I do a bunch of old hard drives I could attach.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
So when I attached a hard drive ... It actually shut off off the Zeus board for some reason, so I scratched that idea.   I decided to swap a power supply I had on an active hub with the Sentey (shut off) power supply from the new Zeus ... And that worked.   These Sentey 750w supplies work fine with the active hubs but don't stay on with the Zeus.    So I seem to be ok at this point!

Offline winwin

Your hard drive must be sucking all the power  ;D
Glad you got a working solution.
AL.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I don't know what the hard drive did, as this is 650 watt supply and one IDE drive would not do much, imho.  Anyways, my solution was to swap the new supplys with the old supplys (from my active hubs) ... and the old supplys play nicely with the zeus and the new ones don't shut off on the active hubs.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Yes, I "knew" better ... but the price on 750w supply suckered me in.  By the way, all of these Sentey power supplies seem to work fine on the SS active hubs, but turn off after a few minutes when used on a Zeus v2 ... rendering them useless for my intended use.  I read that a small load on the 5v connection might fix it, but I don't know what I'd hook up to test that theory.  Maybe a small PC fan?

You can also add a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor between the 5v line and ground.  The resistor will get warm so make sure it is not touching anything that will melt.

I read that too and someone here told me about it. Those darn supplies are smart. No load and they take a nap.
Leon

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
So the 850w Sentey power supplies all work on active hubs but shut off when used with a zeus.    I swapped power supplies and all has been well since.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I have found that sometimes these sentry power supplies require a 10 minute power off before they turn back on ... Super annoying feature !!

Offline tbone321

That looks like you are overheating the supply and it is taking that time to cool back down.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JonB256

• My website
The ATX power supply I have on my roof Active Hub will NOT come back on unless I wait 30 seconds.
This is the 3rd year I've said I was going to replace it. Still hasn't happened.  :-[

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
These supplies work fine with a DLA active hub, but turn off with a v1 or v2 Zeus .... I don't think they work with a passive hub either.