Author Topic: Any idea why an express might get stuck with channel on?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I'm having a problem where virtually every express gets stuck with channels on.   The only remedy seems to be to toggle the gfci outlet on/off ... Or pull the power cords.   I'm wondering what kind of data it might getting which does this?   I'm guessing it's software originating?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Any idea why an express might get stuck with channel on?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, »
Try resetting the dongle connected to them and see what happens.  Also make sure that your data cables are not strapped to or running on top of your power cables.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, »
Thanks, so by "resetting the dongle" ... do you mean unplugging the etherdongle(s) and plugging them back in ?  I don't any other way to reset them.

I do have a new sequence I did in xlights using the random effects feature ... and I suspect that sequence might be sending something (data wise) that causes
the controllers to freak out ... its just a theory, so I will reset and then try the other sequences and see if they behave normally.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, »
Mine did that once this year... I was testing one LE, then when I reset it, they all came on.  I haven't seen it happen since, so I didn't think much about it.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, »
I've only seen in twice since 2008 ... so I know it was the sequence causing it.  While the random effects was super powerful and easy ... it created way too much 'always on' and I had not done sufficient load distribution to handle it on the power supply side.  I used to be all about that, but in recent years ... I take a casual approach to the power since I use so much less than I used to.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, »
you might try setting the model brightness down 30%. Most people will not be able to discern that the brightness has changed.
Or change the brightness slider and lock it down to 70 or so. Now when you randomly create effects, every effect will only go to a max of 179 instead of 255.

It will reduce the total power drawn by your show.

We send full values of 0-255, if you change the model brightness by -30%, the exact same sequence will be scaled to be 0-179 (255 reduced by 30%)

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login