Author Topic: Troubleshooting A Unit  (Read 1631 times)

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
Troubleshooting A Unit
« on: December 07, 2014, »
I had one unit to quit working last night.  So... I ruled out the following possible problems.  Pic, Comm chip, fuses, data cable. 

Here's what it's doing when going to test mode.  The unit will attempt to go in test mode but the display output will not cycle in a typical fashion.  Plus... none of the LED indicators on each channel will light up either.  The 5v and 3V lights are on as well.  It will retain its channel assignment. 

Where would be a place to start to find the failed part?  I'm out of ideas for now.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Troubleshooting A Unit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, »
Check your voltages and make sure you have them. The LEDs can operate if you voltage but low voltage. You said pic so IIam assuming you tried re flashing it?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, »
I swapped the pic with a known good one in another unit.  Same problem exists. 

If you press and hold the select button (in test mode), the leds dimly light up along with $16 being the brightest. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check your voltages and make sure you have them. The LEDs can operate if you voltage but low voltage. You said pic so IIam assuming you tried re flashing it?

RJ

All I'm getting is 2 volts at the led.

EDIT:  Found the problem.  I missed soldering one joint.  It seems to be happy at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, by wbottomley »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, »
have you checked the input voltage connections? i had a board go nuts on me and turned out my 125v jumper that supplied the other half of the board was loose. not sure how or why because everything is zip tied so that it don't move. i brought it in on my bench 3 times before i caught it. just a thought
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights