Author Topic: triggering a projector with an active Hub  (Read 2376 times)

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
triggering a projector with an active Hub
« on: December 09, 2014, »
I an wondering if I can hook my projector to the dmx out port and have it work. I have included some specs and info . I just want to use it for a highlight, Green background/snow with green lights,  ect. Nothing fancy. I used a usb stick for Halloween and had it loop no lights to worry about. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thankyou  Joe

Offline tbone321

Re: triggering a projector with an active Hub
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, »
There is no way to know with the provided information.  If the manual does not list anything about DMX, then probably not. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bartels

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, »
If the projector doesn't support DMX directly, you could look at getting a Raspberry Pi, and hacking something together to control the projector through the RS232 interface.  It would take some research and tinkering but should theoretically be possible.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, »
I have a conductor and a panther player will either of those work. I don't use my projector like many people (playing movies) I use it for accents . That being said I need to be able to sync  with the timing on the sequence

Joe

Offline bartels

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, »
As tbone321 stated, if the projector doesn't support DMX control then it won't natively function.

A device/interface would need to be built as a layer in between your DMX output and your projector.  This would be a more advanced project which would require research and a higher level of technical abilities.

Basically a device would need to be built that would monitor the DMX signals and be plug into your DMX controller. The device would also be plugged into your RS232 port of the projector. Then if you want DMX channel one to be the On/off of the projector the device would need to monitor for state changes on DMX channel one.  When a state change occurs the device would need to send a signal to the projector through RS232 to turn on or off depending on the state.

This would be technically possible but will require a lot of research and technical expertise.  I was just recommending the Raspberry Pi as a platform for this device as others have gotten it to control and receive DMX signals. The following link has some information on getting "Open Light Architecture" working on the Raspberry Pi You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This could be used as a starting point to research this project if you choose to move forward with it.

Offline bartels

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, »
I just found this.  I believe someone is doing this with a falcon pi player.  Is this what you are looking for?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptainMurdoch

triggering a projector with an active Hub
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, »
The Falcon Player can receive E1.31 and based on the values in defined control channels it can run scripts supplied by the user to perform actions such as turn projectors on/off.

Do you have any info on the serial port or network control protocols?  I think that any solution you come up with will require running an extra cable out to the projector area so that could be a serial cable or network cable to control the projector from your existing show player.  I think putting a Pi out there just to be the interface between DMX and the projector might be over-complicating things since you have to get network to the Pi to use E1.31 anyway.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, »
Yes I have some info on the serial port and network protocol . I will post what I have in the am .

Thank you for your help

Joe

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, »
Here is some more info for serial port and network protocol. I do believe this is what was asked for? I tried to post it this morning but got tied up at work

Joe

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, »
Have you searched to see if someone has created a script to control your projector yet?  That protocol looks like something I have seen before on one of the forums.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, »
No  I have not checked elsewhere  as I pretty much  play here . I do check occasionally  on another forum so I can try and ask there. Is there any other equipment that I will need? I thought that getting the projector to play nice with my  lights would be simple  :-[  The projector I bought has the most possible connections I could find and even has WiFi if I had the proper dongle. If I can not  get it to play nice with others (lol) I will just scrap it until next year.  Thank you  again for all your help

Joe

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, »
I would just google as a start for the name/model of your projector and the word script.  It could be someone on a Christmas site or another site that has written a script to control it over the serial interface or the network.  There are a lot of people out there writing scripts for PC-based home theater systems to turn their projectors on/off.  If your PC has a serial port that might be good enough.  Normal RS232 is only good for maybe 60 feet though, it can work beyond that but will start getting flakey and even at that distance the cable quality is very important.  Wireless might be your best solution, you could even put a generic wireless access point or something else out there to get network connectivity rather than a special dongle.