Author Topic: 180 ohm capacitor is toast  (Read 1200 times)

Offline rogerwh

180 ohm capacitor is toast
« on: December 14, 2014, »
Noticed one channel wasn't working last night but didn't get the chance to even look at it until late today.  The 180 ohm capacitor that goes between the optoisolators  and the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" labels above the triacs on channel three had obviously blown.  It was almost black and the board around it looked  little sooty.  Also noticed that the output cord had pulled loose so I'm thinking something shorted.  All the other channels are fine.  Anything in particular (else) I should look for when I change this out?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: 180 ohm capacitor is toast
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, »
well secure the wire and replace the resistor

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, »
If the 180 ohm resistor has cooked, that means that there is an issue with the Triac and you are pulling the load thru the resistor.  when you replace that resistor, make sure to crank up that iron and reflow the connections to the Triac (it can take the heat).  Then connect a load to that channel (not a huge one but enough) and have the LE light it up for about 20 sec.  Watch the resistor and if you see smoke, power down the unit.  If not, then unplug the LE and check the resistor to see if it is hot.  If so, then the triac will need to be replaced.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, »
Thanks Guys.  Rick - I knew resistor but somehow just had capacitor on the brain.  Sometimes at my age I just can't seem to shake things like that out and get the right term in.