Author Topic: Lynx Express COOP?  (Read 7998 times)

Offline mangoat

Re: Lynx Express COOP?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, »
I used vixen to program my first tree/present combo but long term i think i will roll over to lsp.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, »
LSP in my opinion has been going backward in the last two years.  I think it showed so much promise, but it has failed to materialize.  I own a copy and learned how to use, but there have been so many issues with scheduling and other stuff that I stuck with Vixen 2.1, but this year I am 100% nutcracker and the future there looks tremendous.  Lots of activity and some very good people working on it.  Hard to go wrong with free stuff that works.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, »
The scheduler has been rock solid for 2 years.  The sequencer has a bug or two, but I think I managed to crash it only once this year in dozens of hours of using it and did not loose any work.

Nutcracker certainly upped it's anty this year and will be interesting next year with the version 4.0 twist to the grid, but when you get serous about your pixels and your sequencing, LSP is where you will end up.

Hopefully we will see the re-write in a few months, but I'm just continuing on with the sequencing as I was behind last year with wifey projects.  Time to rotate over nearly all the songs this year to new ones.  Maybe have a retro day once a week.

Join the facebook group, it's a WAY more active than the forum for LSP, occasionally even the developers chime in.

Alan

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, »
I used vixen 2.1 for the last 3 years and it was great for free. I own LSP and did not like it very much although I have not updated it in the last year. I used xlights/nutcracker for help with sequencing and as the sole scheduler for playing my show since the second year.
That is until this year when I switched to Vixen 3. I loved the setup this year and it was very customizable. Sequencing was way easier, especially for pixels. The scheduler was a little laggy but I converted my sequences and played them on the Falcon Pi Player and it was rock solid and smooth as butter.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, »
I haven't looked at the software yet, but by scheduler do you guys mean being able to have your show start and stop at certain times of the night without any action from the user other than setting it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mangoat

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, »
i scheduled mine by using Falcon Pi Player on a raspberry pi and it was faultless.  i just exported from vixen to the pi system and away it went.  couldnt have asked for better.  i mean, everyone has their personal opinions on it all, try it all and see where you end up from there.

Offline lburnham

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, »

"i scheduled mine by using Falcon Pi Player on a raspberry pi and it was faultless.  i just exported from vixen to the pi system and away it went.  couldnt have asked for better.  i mean, everyone has their personal opinions on it all, try it all and see where you end up from there."
That's awesome!! ;D

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't looked at the software yet, but by scheduler do you guys mean being able to have your show start and stop at certain times of the night without any action from the user other than setting it up?

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your question.

The scheduler is the show player, and it could start and stop certain times of the night. I only start one show of 8 songs (about 17 minutes long) at 6pm and the scheduler gives the option to keep repeating until the time I specify at 10pm.

Problems with the scheduler can cause your show to be out of sync, laggy or jumping because it is struggling to keep in sync, or crashing and your show is not running at all.  Worse feeling is when you are not home and you get a call from a neighbor or friend that your show is not running when it is suppose to be running. I use Teamviewer now to remotely control my computer and it allows me to fix scheduler software problems, but still cannot fix hardware problems without physically being at my show, lol.
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, »

Sorry for the late reply, I missed your question.

The scheduler is the show player, and it could start and stop certain times of the night. I only start one show of 8 songs (about 17 minutes long) at 6pm and the scheduler gives the option to keep repeating until the time I specify at 10pm.

Problems with the scheduler can cause your show to be out of sync, laggy or jumping because it is struggling to keep in sync, or crashing and your show is not running at all.  Worse feeling is when you are not home and you get a call from a neighbor or friend that your show is not running when it is suppose to be running. I use Teamviewer now to remotely control my computer and it allows me to fix scheduler software problems, but still cannot fix hardware problems without physically being at my show, lol.

Yeah that makes total sense.

Have you had much trouble using it? I've been reading on falcon's wiki trying to figure it all out, but without all the necessary equipment, I can only read and learn, however I learn best by doing it.

I have a new B+ and I've assembled an etherdongle and programmed it with the dmx hex file, but can't really test anything until I get some expresses.

Blake Whittington
Offshore ROV Technician

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, »
If you have a B+ you can get it running and use the web interface to look at and change all the options.  You can even tell it that there is an etherdongle attached and load a sequence with music.  Plug in some speakers and play the sequence.  The Pi will think it is sending out the data and work fine.  The music should play on the speakers.  You can then create a playlist and once that is done you can create a schedule and run it.  You don't have to have all the controllers and lights attached to run the FPP.  You have lots of time before next Christmas or Halloween to get that done.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, »
Thanks for that bit of info. I've been trying to install the wrong files on my pi tonight, but I'm going to fix that in the morning and try that out. Thanks

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, »
Have you had much trouble using it? I've been reading on falcon's wiki trying to figure it all out, but without all the necessary equipment, I can only read and learn, however I learn best by doing it.

I have a new B+ and I've assembled an etherdongle and programmed it with the dmx hex file, but can't really test anything until I get some expresses.

I used the getting started videos and only had to check the forums for some basic info. The forum over at Falcon Christmas is very responsive to answering questions if you have any.
-Brian
-------------