Author Topic: Vixen3 RGB Light output wrong color  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Opopanax

Vixen3 RGB Light output wrong color
« on: December 17, 2014, »
I'm using RGBs for the first time this year. I went and grabbed a Pixlite 16 controller and lights from HolidayCoro. I have a very simple sequence as a test using Vixen3.

When I look at the previews, the colors display correctly. However, when I play the sequence some strings will display the wrong color. For example, White will be white on all strings. Red will be green, Green will be blue, and blue would be red.

It's absolutely maddening. When I test the lights using xlights I get the expected output color that I want. So I'm thinking I may have done something wrong with Vixen3.

I setup my controller, setup my elements with a color filter for full RGB and patched the elements to the controller. I'm not sure if I missed something or not. I've tried changing the color handler to be different values for the RGB, but I still get the wrong color mix.

Help? Ideas? Suggestions?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Vixen3 RGB Light output wrong color
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, »
Sounds like you have a setting problem in Vixen3
There should be a controller setting to change the RGB order

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, »
I try to keep software settings the default, meaning leave them at RGB.  I always adjust color order in the hardware, look at the settings of the pixelite and make sure you have the correct color order there for the lights you have.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, »
I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy with pixels. I would set the colors based off of Xlights and when the show would play the colors were wrong. I would set the color order based off what I was seeing in Xlights.  I fixed it and it was due to 2 problems.

1) When Channel mapping in Vixen 3 I mistakenly chose the "Reverse order of selected outputs" vs the "Reverse order of elements". This made pixels with Channel 1 being Blue, Ch 2 Green, and Ch 3 Red. I also had a few elements where the strings zigzag up and down and I had missed the Reverse order of elements or left it on by accident for a part of a string. Once this was fixed I went to the next problem.

2) Xlights tester output different from Vixen 3. I was expecting it to output in the order of RGB but it will not necessarily do that. What I did was to make a test sequence in Vixen 3 with 4 seconds blocks of Red, Green, Blue and Off and copy and pasted it on all my elements. I would play it on a loop and I would then look at the elements controllers that were the incorrect color and fix their color order in hardware to be correct. I originally used no off for 4 seconds after RGB but I couldn't tell what was suppose to be the first channel.

You could technically fix it in the Channel mapping but if you switch controllers or change to different controller you could have issues.

Hope this  helps.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, »
I upgraded to the latest version and saw the "Reverse Order of the elements" that made Red actually red! But the Green and Blue got swapped.

I also checked the hardware with the tool suggested for managing the controller. I can change the order of the RGB but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Either the change isn't taking place or something else. According to Advatek it was set to RGB but I'm not sure if I can trust that.

any other suggestions where to look?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline pwalstead

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, »
Go into display configuration, select your element, under patching setup select graphical view. You should see a box that is titled color breakdown, you can set the breakdown of colors to channels here.