Author Topic: Looking for input or suggestions on pixel tree plan for next year.  (Read 4669 times)

Offline chadowamsley

Hello,

I was looking to see if I could possibly get a little input for a pixel tree. I have one in my head, but I want to get opinions if the tree layout is good, number of nodes per string is good, should tree be taller, bigger diameter or what not. Im just trying to get this worked out in my head before ordering anything and to keep me from going over and over it.

Looking at a 10' tree, 32 strings with 42 pixels, either a 180 or 270 degree tree, base diameter of 9', spacing of strings on bottom ring around 5.29 inches, with each pixel around 3.13" apart center to center.

Hoping to get my head wrapped around the Zues 16 and using that for the tree. Keep looking and reading what I can find on the Zues 16 as far as programming and everything with it.

Looking for a nice tree for effects, maybe some pictures and text. Wanting to make sure the tree is full enough for that, but at the same time not over kill and wasting money on extra that is not needed. I see videos of trees, but not many list the tree layout to compare. Would like to keep the tree between 10 - 15' tall max.

Forgot to add that Im looking to use the smart strings, 1804 I believe.

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, by chadowamsley »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
what your wanting sounds very similar to my tree. your base width might be a little wide for a 10' tree. my tree is 12.5 tall from where the lights start. 14.5' over all, 8' wide and it is on a 180 design. my tree is 32 strings, 50 nodes each string, spaced just under 5inches between strings,  running two zues 16. if you maintain your node count of 42 per string, you will be able to use one zues, and stay in one universe( wish i would have done the math a little more and used your node count idea).  you would set it up in nutcracker as:

1. 180 tree
2. number of strings =  16
3. rgb nodes per string =  84
4. number of strands per string=  2

string one starts in left or right corner, folded in half to get 42/42 and goes up down. node one being at the bottom, and the top of string two which will descend starts with 43.
string 2 same thing. starts with node 85 at bottom and 127 starting down.

you should be happy with your node count and height ideas. i would probably bring my base ring in from 9' so that you get a tighter pattern on your strings. check into the jump pole design here at this link. a lot of people are using it and i am going to switch mine next year to something like this.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
as long as your budget don't get in the way, sounds like you are on your way. plan on about a grand for your idea between lights, zues, power supply, battery box, pole, wire, etc...

the video on my facebook page is not good at all, (better videos coming soon) but it can give you an idea of what a 32 string, 50 node per string, 12.5' tall 8' wide tree looks like. facebook link below. have fun!

Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
I prefer a tree shape that has a diameter that is 1/2 the height.
I used plastic strips from the DIYC forum and they worked GREAT to provide consistent spacing.
I used 2" spacing...  the tree was shorter due to this density, but it looked great with that density.

48 strings of 85 pixels, one strand per string.  270-degrees.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
The rule of thumb for a tree is that the base diameter is 1/2 the height.  A little bigger sometimes looks ok, but yours is way to big at the bottom and will not look proportioned.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chadowamsley

I'll probably raise the height a little and adjust the base ring accordingly.  If I was to go with 32 strings of 50, 16 hundred node strings,  can one zues still handle that? I thought I read somewhere the v2 was able.

The magic Christmas link is what I was using for some spacing measurements.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll probably raise the height a little and adjust the base ring accordingly.  If I was to go with 32 strings of 50, 16 hundred node strings,  can one zues still handle that? I thought I read somewhere the v2 was able.

The magic Christmas link is what I was using for some spacing measurements.

Yes the sues v2 will work for 1600 nodes. It wasn't available when I built mine
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

Zeus v1 max is 16 strings...  each string can be a max of 128 pixels --- however you are limited to one universe of 4096 channels or 1365 pixels.

I dont know that v2 changes this.

Zeus v2 fixes this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
For your planned tree you would have to split the 16 strings between two Pixelnet universes using any combination of 100 node strings. The Zeus v2 allows each string to be on any of the 4 universes so you would set it up so at least 3 strings are on one universe and the remaining on a second (i.e. Universe 1 with 13 strings (1300 nodes) & Universe 2 with 3 strings (300 nodes)). Just make sure your power supply is large enough (about 60 amps if just powering the tree) to handle the load. 
I put up my pixel tree before the Zeus 16 v2 was released so I kept it down to 1320 nodes but as the proud owner of a prototype v2, I am reconsidering this for next year.  :)
Luceat lux vestra

Offline chadowamsley

Thank you for the replies.  I have alittle idea on the tree layout after reading comments,  looking at links and reading. 

I still have a ton to read and learn about the zues, pixels and power for the stuff. A bit different from just giving power to my Renard boards and letting  them go.

The Zues boards power the pixels the same as the hubs and ssc ? The videos I've watched show 128 pixels being powered without injection. Just making sure because most other boards that Ive seen,  not on this site, say they are limited to less. 

An e dongle is needed also I know, and ssc for programming chips with a pickit3.

Is there more written information on the Zues boards? Talking about programming, how to connect other pixelnet controllers to run with it and such. I can't find Much info when I'm trying to look and rather look basic stuff up myself instead of asking such basic questions.

Offline Steve Gase

Yes, Zeus integrates the hub and SSC function.  Zeus is a great solution if all of your strings are localized to the same area.

Alternatively, the SSC is great for arches, stars, and other things that are separated by greater distances.  The twisted pair cabling that connects a hub to the SSC can do 300ft whereas the wire that connects the first pixel to a controller should only be 6ft (10ft in some cases).

128 pixels is the max based on the firmware choices that RJ has made. This was in part to keep things simple (no injection needed) and to be safe (not placing too much current over the wires in a cat5 cable.

BTW... The hubs, and controllers (not SSC) have an input connector that accepts 4 pairs of wire that carry 4 universes (4x4096=16384 channels).  The hubs and controllers also have 2 pixelnet output connectors that pass that same 4 pairs to another controller/hub.

The DMX and pixelnet solution is a "bus"... each controller is able to listen into the same universe and pull off the channels that it is configured to read.  It passes all of the SAME channel data on to the next controller/hub.  This means that you can have many things sharing the same universe, placed in any physical order -- regardless of channel number.  It ALSO means that multiple props can listen to the same channels -- like a mirror of your pixel tree on the other side of the driveway -- or a few dozen pixel candy canes that listen to the same 3 (or 6? or more?) channels.

Offline chadowamsley

So with the Zues 16, each chip is programmed with the channel information ? Tring to understand how the channels are output by controller. I understand it as each chip is programmed with that channels information. Im getting ahead of myself with this question, but wondering because the following year Im looking to add some active hubs with sscs for mini trees and arches. If next year works out with the pixel tree of course.

I am getting ready to order a Zues 16 and was wondering if the linked power supply would be good for powering the controller as well as 32 strings of 42 pixels. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Im looking to get a board built and a couple strings ordered for testing and getting my feet wet.

Offline Steve Gase

each port on the zeus has its own PIC (chip) and each is configured independently.  each can have a different color order, pixel order (forward/reverse) and number of pixels.

that power supply should be good...  find the power used by each pixel... let's say .3W and multiply it out by the number of pixels.... .3W x 32 strings x 42 pixels = 403W. 

This 750W supply has a breakdown by the different voltages... the details show:  12V@62A,  which is 12V x 62A = 744W
[/size][/color]

When doing your planning, try to use no more than 80% of the rated output. 744 x 80% = 595W.

In this scenario... with a hypothetical pixel drawing .3W your tree (403W) could be handled by the 80% of the rated capacity: 595W

Offline chadowamsley

Thanks for the replies.  I'm waiting until I take my lights down to actually measure the tree I want to build.  I think this little bit of information here is enough to get me going.

You all have a Merry Christmas

Offline chadowamsley

Looks like I'll probably be needing more close to a 270 degree tree.  Also,  viewing distance will be 50-75 feet.
For a ten foot tree with 32 strings of 42 pixels at around 3 inch spacing,  more strings with more pixels for tighter pixels might be needed but not sure. Just want to make sure most effects,  texts or whatever is legible.

Offline Steve Gase

I see a lot of folks using a 180-degree tree, but I am very pleased with my 270-degree tree.  My tree is visible for quite a distance in both directions  along the road, and having more surface area as you approach the tree in each direction helps a lot IMO.