Author Topic: Looking for input or suggestions on pixel tree plan for next year.  (Read 4665 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
It depends on your location, but for me 180 trees work just perfectly.  My big tree is 48 (w) x 64 (h) and it the best for graphics.  My two newer 180 trees are only a little over 10' each and are 24 (w) x 42 (h) and can do 80% as much at half the cost ... and are a lot easier to set up and take down, being smaller and lighter.

You really can't see these pixel trees on the backside and the nodes are very directional.  So unless you have viewers from those angles ... its kind of waste of money to do more than 180 unless you have to. 

My Dad's design is also for a tip-up 180 tree ... where we put the lights on in the tilted-down position, then tilt it up and guy wire it out.  Its a very good design ... and everything is about 1/2 the size, weight and build materials.

I'll be doing a video sometime in January of the entire show and these trees will be in that video.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chadowamsley

I was going to go with a 180 but it is viewable from the side also,  so need a 270. My tree will be right around 10' high plus a topper. I was planning 32x42 for 180, but with a 270 I think I might need to go with 48x42  or maybe more per strand. Was easier placing when I threw four different colors together and lifted in the air.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
I live on a corner so *IF* I were to make a pixel tree, I would do 270, otherwise 180 is sufficient for most applications.

I also agree with making the base smaller.  My mega tree (not pixel tree) is 12 feet high with ~6 foot diameter (ring is made of two 10 foot pieces of electrical conduit inserted into each other). 

Taybrynn's tree is nice and looks very "clean".  The nodes are in PVC and attach to the metal frame.  It scrolls text and pictures no problem.  The videos don't do it justice.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chadowamsley

I just watched one of Taybrynns videos, only one pixel tree, looks outstanding. Im guessing that is his 180 degree tree with 48 x 64. Im not sure on his height, but waiting to see his smaller trees.

Im leaning towards a 10' tree, 270 degrees for viewing on both streets, with 48x42 or 48x64 and two zues16. I have a friend with a cnc who will be making my hook head. Probably order some of James strips from DIYC for the strings to sit in. Waiting for more videos before I pull the plug on buying nodes. In the meantime, playing with different software to get a feel for what works for me.

Offline mmais68569

I have been following this thread for a while & will also build a Pixel tree next year.
My question is what do you mean by:
48x42 or 48x64
I plan to use these Pixels.

Mike

Offline chadowamsley

48 strands with each having 42 pixels or 48 strands with each having 64 pixels.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
I use this tool every year for figuring out base diameter and string spacing. Keep in mind the number of strings are based off a 360 tree, so if you want a 180 tree string spacing double the number you enter.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chadowamsley

Yes I have used that site as well as some formulas found at magicchristmas.com with his color motions tree.

Offline chadowamsley

Looks like I will be building my tree just over ten foot tall. I will have 48 stands of 64 nodes spaced every 2 inches.  I will be using two Zeus 16 controllers. Tree will be a 270 with viewing distance of around 50 feet.  Hopefully two inch spacing is good for pictures and at the same time not over kill causing it to be to bright. Ill be using some of James strips from diyc to mount the pixels.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
very similar to what I did... mine worked very well for me.
if you use nutcracker, I suggest that you bring the model intensity down to 20%... the viewers will not see a difference, but the cameras will handle it better.

earlier I thought my filming was all that mattered regarding intensity... but i now think others might also take video -- so why not keep it at 20% all the time!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
I am currently looking at a 48 strand 180 degree tree and I wanted to bring up some possible problems you may run into.

Topper size:
The nodes are approximately 1/2 inch wide and even if they had nothing between them like Jame's strips it would be a minimum of 10.2" diameter topper. 
Based on 1/2" per node a circumference of 48 nodes in 270 degrees is 32". This equates to the 10.2"

When the nodes are in the strips if you overlap them you have an additional ~ 1/4" that you have to figure in. My quick calculations based off actual measurements I made and converting to your 270 degree tree, I come up with a 17.2" diameter topper minimum, but I would check the math.

Pixelnet universes:
You state you plan on using 2 Zeus 16 controlllers. You will have to use v2 of the Zeus because your 48 strands of 62 nodes = 2976 nodes = 8928 channels / 4096 channels per pixelnet universe = access to at least 3 universes unless you overlap channels. This is also assuming you are going to fold strands (i.e. 1 controller for 124 nodes and fold in the middle because you only have 32 outputs). You might want to go down to 60 nodes which would get you down to 2 universes of pixelnet.

You may also run into problems with differences in pixel color with a run of 124 pixels. The last pixel and the first pixel will be next to each other so it may be noticeable. You may need to do power injection at the end of the string.

The other thing I would say is that I found the main problem with pixel spacing was not the vertical spacing but the horizontal spacing. I went with 3" spacing and it was good vertically but horizontally was where my resolution lacked. That is why I am planning on going from 24 strands to 48 strands for 2015.

I can send you a rough document I typed up talking about pixels and my megatree if you would like, just send me a PM.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login