Author Topic: Driving Multiple Strings from one SSC  (Read 1213 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Driving Multiple Strings from one SSC
« on: December 21, 2014, »
Hi All

I want to build a huge spotlight out of 1 meter lengths of flexstrips.
Basic idea is to cut these:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
into 1 meter lengths.
Arrange them side by side on a piece of plywood
Do a bit of custom wiring for power/data. (I have what seems like a very easy idea in my head.)

The question i have, is can the data out line on a SSC V4 handle being connected to the data input on, lets say 10,15,20,25,30 flexstrips?

I'm sure there is an upper limit, but given my distance is so short (Half meter max) and Digital Inputs use very little current, I'm guessing this would be fine. But I haven't actually looked at datasheets.
Boucher Family Lights

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Driving Multiple Strings from one SSC
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, »
lots of options... 

one workable option is to split the data out and connect to the start of each of the strips
use power injection (with the ground tied to the SSC ground) to power each of the strips

or, use a wire to connect the data out of the first strip to the data in on the next strip, etc and allow each pixel to be separately addressible...
i'd still use power injection since  all of the strips are together in tight arrangement... and it will provide more even light.
you could use hybrid mode to control the whole thing with 3 channels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, »
That's the basic idea.
Don't care about addressing them as it will be a floodlight and all the same color at any one time.
But how many can I drive off of one SSC?
Boucher Family Lights

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, »
If you are not addressing each pixel and they will always be the same color. Then it maybe cheaper to use 12v RGB dumb flex strips.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, »
That's the basic idea.
Don't care about addressing them as it will be a floodlight and all the same color at any one time.
But how many can I drive off of one SSC?
One SSC can control 128 pixels inline.  BUT if you use power injection and split the data line so that it connects to multiple strips in parallel, then you could connect 2 (maybe 6??) strips of 128 pixels.  (I'm just guessing how many...)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, »
So after thinking this through I think my plan is to take my strips after Christmas and just lay them loose in the yard under the tree to get an idea how much they will light up the tree. If it looks half as good as my house I think it will be ok.

Then I will do testing to see how many I can control and post the results/construction video.
Boucher Family Lights