Author Topic: Sudden Death of an Express - Resolved  (Read 2392 times)

Offline meman

Sudden Death of an Express - Resolved
« on: December 23, 2014, »
I tend to leave my 9 LEs powered up 24/7 during the season, and after 5 years of faithful service I discovered one of them DOA tonight.
Wife had called me earlier in the day saying that the circuit this LE was on had tripped and extension cord was hot, so I'm sure its related, but none of the other LEs on that
circuit were harmed.

No 3/5v leds lit, nothing. Fuse was blown so I replaced it....everything still dead. No burn marks or bad smells on the board...just a the usual yellowed flux from the soldering.  Got 120v at the transformer, but not sure I'm measuring tap on the other side right...not showing more than 2.9v DC if I measure between pin 6 and the rectifier leads. Swapped it out with a new one, but still same readings. Got nothing measuring from center lead to edge lead of either of the voltage regulators either. Not really sure how to test the rectifier.

Tomorrow is the big crowd, so pulling an all-nighter to get a spare LE kit soldered up, but would like to figure this one out when time permits. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Mike E.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, by meman »

Offline caretaker

Re: Sudden Death of an Express
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, »
Check what voltage (if any) you are getting at the regulators.  My first guess would be the transformer went bad.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, »
I feel your pain . I am about of spare parts myself.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, »
Check what voltage (if any) you are getting at the regulators.  My first guess would be the transformer went bad.

That would be my guess a well.  An Ohm meter should be able to test the primary side winding in the transformer.  I'm just not sure if it can be done in circuit.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, »
The primary side is only connected to the AC power so there is no issue checking it while in circuit.  Just put an ohm meter across the plug (while not plugged in) and see if there is continuity.  An open circuit is a blown transformer.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline meman

Re: Sudden Death of an Express - Resolved
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, »
Mystery solved....bad traic on channel 15.  Swapped it out and the board powered up normally.
I had a short circuit that fried a triac in a different LE a couple of years ago, but I didn't remember it killing the entire board this way.

Now to research the string of candy canes that was plugged into this channel so I don't blow it again.

Merry Christmas !!!
Mike E.

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, »
And root cause analysis reveals that the wires in the male vampire plug attached to channel 15 had shorted in spectacular fusion of copper and plastic. The cords for this LE sit on the ground next to my arches, and I had not sealed the cut end of the SPT1 with liquid tape or insulated this plug with dielectric grease. I suspect water entered the vampire plug, shorted it, blew the triac and fuse in the LE.

Used the grease this time as I assembled a new vampire plug.

Mike E.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, »
Thank for posting the resolution
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, »
Thank for posting the resolution
+1  This is the type of information that helps everyone.
Jeff Squires

Offline winwin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, »
Glad you found your problem and thanks for sharing your findings. 

Used the grease this time as I assembled a new vampire plug.
Do you intend to go back to all your vampire plugs to add grease to them? i have not used any either and I wonder if I should not do the same thing now; not a fun job but if it prevents having a repeat of your problem, I don't mind that much any more!
AL.