Author Topic: i hate lightning  (Read 843 times)

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
i hate lightning
« on: December 24, 2014, »
been a interesting last 12 hours when i left to carry my grand babies to the movie show was in good shape came back to all of the show out, and over half the static lights and probably a disappointed visitor leaving

accessed the damage this morning after lightning storm have 5 bad controllers no 5 volt leds and one bad dmx splitter 1 bad usb dongle still have 3 controllers inoperative at this time  but the show will go on as scheduled o  i forgot 1 vaporized 40 amp fuse

anyone want to come help repair boards
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: i hate lightning
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, »
Wow I am really sorry to hear that. I do appreciate the fact that you are keeping the show running. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and repairs are quick and easy.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, »
Sorry to hear of your problem, but I think there is something to be learned from your experience.  Something I think no one thinks about or at least I haven't seen any topics on.  That would be grounding.

Typically, home power systems are single grounded at your incoming service.  The neutral and ground is bonded in your breaker panel.  Gibberish to most right.  The fact is here lightning will take the shortest path to ground and even jump to get there. 
I am thinking a couple of things here.
1. I would check your home grounding at the incoming service. 
2. If you have a sub-panel is it grounded properly to the main panel?
3. Look at tall structures like mega trees and use a ground rod attached to the pole and not to the electrical.

I'll bet there are more suggestions out there once folks think about it.

The show must go on.

Merry Christmas to All

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, »
The real trick is to turn it off when bad weather is expected.  I know that it is a PITA, but it is much less of one than repairing controllers and replacing strings when the show is suppose to be running.  A whole house surge suppressor may also have helped here but they do wear out and need to be checked every now and then. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, »
update 10 dead com chips 3 bad picks so far all running but 16 channels still troubleshooting it no burnt traces
still have not troubleshoot the usb dongle any ideas on it would be appreciated

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, »
The real trick is to turn it off when bad weather is expected.  I know that it is a PITA, but it is much less of one than repairing controllers and replacing strings when the show is suppose to be running.  A whole house surge suppressor may also have helped here but they do wear out and need to be checked every now and then.
I can personally say whole house surge suppressor do work, I have installed several and one customer who had loss most of his electronics after a lighting hit pre surge suppressor had another lightning hit about 6 months after I had installed the surge suppressor. Long story short he had no loss of electronic equpment but his neighbors on both side lost there TV's and computers. 
Sabie, glad to hear hear you have most of your show back. Rain and lightning are our worst enemies.
Jeff Squires

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, »
Yes, this has been the worst year I can remember for in-show maintenance. Battling wind and constant rains here in FL. I usually use copious amounts of dielectric grease on every connection, strobe socket, as I assemble a vampire plug, etc. but I skipped it this year during setup and I'm paying the price. The grease does get pretty messy at setup and teardown time, but it really works to keep out water.

Many nights this year I have only been able to keep the Aethers and lights on the house running, while the trees and front line arches, megatree, etc all trip the GFIs from so much rain. Any hope for Christmas Eve luminaries were a total wash (pun intended) last night as well.

Despite all of my personal grief over "whats going wrong this year", the people in the cars didn't care and continued to stop by well past midnight....and sitting through the entire song loop.

Merry Christmas Everyone !
Mike E.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, »
Worst in show maintenance year here also.   Plus bunnies gone wild eating cords (none since using liquid fence) ... But the rain in Colorado seems to be to blame,  That and zi had a sequence which cause my AC controllers to lock up, stay on ... Then blow the gfci circuits.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]