Author Topic: best way to extend wires between rgb's  (Read 1488 times)

Offline kernal

best way to extend wires between rgb's
« on: December 25, 2014, »
Ok, so what is the best way, OR, how has everyone been making the distance between rgb's (square ones from the wiki)?  Ihave a project that needs more space between each square.  Suggestions ...

And go! 

But take your time as today is Christmas... 

Kernal
My license plate says blinky.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: best way to extend wires between rgb's
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, »
easiest way is to order them with longer distances from ray... the cost (if any) is negligible.

i happen to splice using a lineman's splice -- well, mine is very rough.  and I use shrink tubing over the splice.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i would love to find a splicing tool that would do the twisting in a tight place quickly... it would be perfect if it also stripped the wire and put it all together in preparation for the solder.  (i can wish... its the christmas season!)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kernal

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, »
Yeah I will next time...  but now with what I have...  I need about 12" spacing.  Can I just solder some wire btwn the 2 squares?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, »
yep.  up to 6' distance between the nodes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kernal

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, »
So they do have to be with in 6" of each other?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, »
6 feet I believe ... and basiclally you can use nodes as inline boosters ... and turns them off (null nodes) or just dont sequence them or tape over them.   ive never done it but RJ pointed out ...for under $.50 each its a cheap inline booster.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, »
All depends on your application and what you're wanting to do.  I have my floodlights made out of rectangle modules and I have 8 of them packaged into a floodlight enclosure with a 3 wire connector attached to the lights attached to 5 feet of Cat5 cable which I have made into 3 core extension wire which then attaches to the next 3 core connector and the next floodlight.  I have all 8 of my floods daisy chained together like this and they work great.  If you do over 6 feet, I believe you would then need to look at the options mentioned above.

Duane

Offline kernal

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, »
I am gonna do a 4 foot by 4 foot square (16 one foot squares). I want to illuminate each square.  So...  my thought was to extend the wires to accommodate that need. 

No?

Offline scharbon

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, »
base don what everyone has written and what I remember RJ saying...
...Yes, you should be okay with about 12 to 18 inches of wire between nodes with no need to run null nodes in between.
Let us know if you find a good domestic source for 22/3 wire (which is what I think is the wire between the nodes when you buy them).

Steve

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, »
I have extended wires between nodes before without any issues ... Probably 4-9" extensions most of the time .   Using good wire and soldered splices should help.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]