Author Topic: pickit 3 programmer app.  (Read 2634 times)

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
pickit 3 programmer app.
« on: December 28, 2014, »
I cannot get Pickit3 Stand Alone Programmer App v1 work. I open it and windows says search for a solution then closes. Trying to program some ssc equip. Any ideas. I uninstalled and reinstalled no luck :(

Joe

Offline tbone321

Re: pickit 3 programmer app.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, »
We need a little more information than this.  What was the full error, what OS are you using, was the pickit 3 plugged in?  Do you have a pickit 2?  It can be used for everything except the ETD.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, »
sorry was on tablet. here is a screen shot of what it says. I am using win7 64. I only have a picket3. I tried to use mlab but that kept telling me that it could not find target for ssc4  this is basically the same thing. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login issue:

It did not specify what the solution was just that another member helped. I am basically doing the same thing. Was all dmx now trying to use ss things. I programmed the etd in mlab ipe and it took, now if it will work right is another story, as it is not recommended to use mlab on etd or ss stuff. 

Joe

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, »
Try starting the program Before connecting it to the computer. Its what I have to do with my computer windows 7 64bit

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Nightowlz1966

• I thought I had more extension cords
    • Christmas On The Creek
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, »
Try a different USB cable
Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga.
I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, »
Install the latest MPLAB but do NOT use the mplab program, in the menu you will see IPE, That is the one to use.  Before you select the chip go to advance, log in using the password that is shown on the screen.  Go to power and tell it to power the chip from the pickit.  Then go back to operate, select your chip and connect.  If that does not work, go back to advanced again and select to power the chip again, I often find that the option has been deselected but I don't know why.  The second time is usually the charm.  Now select your hex file and program away.  I typed this from memory so I hope the wording is correct, but you should be able to figure it out.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, »
Thanks for the great replies  i will try them in the am, and will let you know how it went

Joe

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, »
After many hours I am still stuck...... I have tried everything possible.

Cables, 75+ new from mouser. Tested 3
flashed, erase,flashed ect. many times etd,dsc, and ssc 4 with mlab IPE. Shows they flashed
checked all pigtails hooked to lights using th2014 tester all good lights too
Checked all solder joints ect.
Hooked direct to computer( which I prefer as it is only used as a show computer)
Hooked to router Asus Rt-n66u dark knight set to multicast
using 4 port passive hub with power supply set at 12.7 v dc
checked all fuses on hub ( good)
Used ssc v 4 utility with zues option to test - nothing
used xlights to test erased universe settings reset new ones, selected all, output to lights  nothing
restarted computer and reset etd
disabled antivirus
Checked chip and part placement on 6 ssc4s and 8 dscs
checked pigtail and cat5 are soldered correctly data ect. and proper ends for imput on all ssc4s and dscs

As the original post says i cannot use pickit3 programmer app. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still gives me the same error as in my second post.I have read and read and tried everything . The etd acts like its transmitting as stated in a few other posts. I have no verifed working ss equip. As it is all new. The only thing i can possilby come up with is that it is stated that there are problems using mlab to program the etd and to use the v1 stand alone programmer . As others have stated they used mlab with sucess the pics the pics seem to flash and i powered the chip with the picket on ssc4 and it too seems to flash . The only other thing I can come up with is to flash dmx dongle with pixelnet and give it a try but then we are back to the stand alone programmer if it isnt reccommended to use mlab ipe. 
I am at a total loss ......

Thankyou Joe

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, »
Ok lets go back to the original post

The pickit 3 stand alone utility will not work.

Options now are to fix it so its usable
get a second router just for show computer
also i noticed that using the ss utility that it defaults to com port 10 and cannot be changed is that correct. I cannot set the start channel so that could be the main problem, that is if the etd is transmitting correctly.

There has got to be something simple that i am missing. I have spent alot of money collecting equip for 2 years. ECT, and since the friday before chistmas trying to get some of this ssc stuff working . So far most of my vacation has been consumed. The wife has been very supportive but she is at a point telling me to throw in the towel and stick to dmx. Ihave tons of paitence but to say that i am fustrated is putting it mildly. I truely expected hicups but......... I spent weeks playing with v3 and just was going to add some arches that i reworked with ss flex and some mini trees with nodes 8 dumb and 8 smart to add a little sparkle for newyears
Alot of work to say the least as everyone knows. At this point i am open to any suggestions for something may have overlooked

Thankyou Joe

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, »
Ok lets go back to the original post

The pickit 3 stand alone utility will not work.

This much we can see.  Did you try the utility on another computer?

Options now are to fix it so its usable
get a second router just for show computer

I don't understand what you are saying here.  What do you mean by a router and what exactly are you fixing?

also i noticed that using the ss utility that it defaults to com port 10 and cannot be changed is that correct. I cannot set the start channel so that could be the main problem, that is if the etd is transmitting correctly.

Com ports are used by serial devices and the EDT is an Ethernet device.  If you have a USB dongle as well, then the com port is for that device and has no effect on the ETD.  Are you using the ETD for anything yet?

There has got to be something simple that i am missing. I have spent alot of money collecting equip for 2 years. ECT, and since the friday before chistmas trying to get some of this ssc stuff working . So far most of my vacation has been consumed. The wife has been very supportive but she is at a point telling me to throw in the towel and stick to dmx. Ihave tons of paitence but to say that i am fustrated is putting it mildly. I truely expected hicups but......... I spent weeks playing with v3 and just was going to add some arches that i reworked with ss flex and some mini trees with nodes 8 dumb and 8 smart to add a little sparkle for newyears
Alot of work to say the least as everyone knows. At this point i am open to any suggestions for something may have overlooked

Thankyou Joe

It appears that you may be mixing up some of the terms and functions of the devices.  The first step would be to set it all aside and give yourself a break.  Then review the terminology to make sure that you know what the different devices and software are used for and that you are using the correct terminology when asking questions so that people with limited intelligence like me know what you are asking.  There is a bit of a learning curve to this stuff and the fact that there are many different ways to do a lot of it to me serves to steepen that curve a little.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, »
The utility error is definitely a java error. Even on microchip's forum they suggest to use ipe like Jim noted above (Integrated Programming Environment v2.26) instead. I don't know if the utility is looking for a certain version of java or not but its related.

Note: for me to get the ipe program to flash the pic I had to go into settings menu advance mode and go to the power tab. Click on the check box for ICSP options: Power Target circuit from tool. Otherwise I get an error saying it can't find the device, blah blah blah.....
btw: the IPE is part of the mplab software suite.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, »
Thankyou rrowan for the info on the original topic. I have checked for updates for java and my machine is up to date on it. I enclosed a screen shot of the IPE showing that it says the chip for n the ssc4 was programmed as it said many times before, after jim and now you enlightened me on how to power the pickit up.

Tbone321:
Did you try the utility on another computer?
no as my other computer has windows8 and I have had issues with programs and hardware on it. I use this  windows 7 64 as my show/ equip. ( hex files, Software ect ) only

I don't understand what you are saying here.  What do you mean by a router and what exactly are you fixing?
Adding another router was a hail mary option due to the fact that if you check the specs on my black knight it has many options and features that possibly be causing an issue. I was going to buy a cheaper less fancy router to wipe out that possible issue

Com ports are used by serial devices and the EDT is an Ethernet device.  If you have a USB dongle as well, then the com port is for that device and has no effect on the ETD.  Are you using the ETD for anything yet?
Ah yes you are correct but if you look at the ssc utility screen shot you will see under settings that it asks you to select a com port. I threw it into the mix as a possible issue for the ssc4  or it is only an option for the zues

It appears that you may be mixing up some of the terms and functions of the devices.  The first step would be to set it all aside and give yourself a break.  Then review the terminology to make sure that you know what the different devices and software are used for and that you are using the correct terminology when asking questions so that people with limited intelligence like me know what you are asking.  There is a bit of a learning curve to this stuff and the fact that there are many different ways to do a lot of it to me serves to steepen that curve a little

let me clarify the terminology issue, If you have read some of my previous posts throughout this forum I admit that I am not the best at explaining things. but I do try to help if I can. if you were to talk to me personally I could show you many things (do it don't say it kind of person) I have been doing this stuff for better than 10 years starting with a mr christmas music box to lor and then to lynx. I have had tons of light and for me I have found through the years that less is more. The challenge to take on ss equip was well planned out and not taken lightly. I was building  ss elements in October for next year already as you can see by the pics in my last post. I expected issues and there has been plenty but this issue makes no sense to me as I have checked everything that I could find on this forum. I have taken breaks but now it is a ( I will solve this problem) and  hopefully be able to help others down the road. the learning curve was totally expected and I really thought that with all the planning and extra care I would avoid at least the output problem. Heck I even checked the surface mount chips with a flashlight and magnifying glass before soldering to avoid one less issue that could occur.
 As far as limited knowledge on your part, you sure do post a lot with info that is generally helpful
The issue is probably so darn simple that I will probably be mad at myself for a week. LOL

Thankyou Joe

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, »
It is asking for the port since you have USB dongle checked, if you are using an etherdongle you would not get that message.  You should have computer to network to etherdongle to "pixelnet in" on a DLA hub with ethernet to the SSC.  And you should have an active power supply connected to the hub.  Is that what you have?  There are other options but this would be the simplest.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, »
Yes jim that is what i have : computer to etd majack  = etd to pixelnet in on  4 port passive hub powered with  12v = passive  hub to ssc .
The screen shot was just a quick setup  for screen shot .the com  port is still selectable with etd that is why i asked .just narrowing things down. I did get all the lights to turn on once all white and then stayed on using ssc/zeus utility. I could not do it a second time though. Also while unplugging and replugging on the hub i can get the lights to flicker on the mini tree. So there is power. So that tells me its an output error in setup on computer to etd  or a flash problem on pics or both.

Thankyou Joe

Offline caretaker

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, »
I noticed when you were programing the PIC there where 5 bad passes trying to program.  Double check and make sure your COM setting for the USB port the PICkit 3 is using look like below;
Jeff Squires