Author Topic: Changing channel order doesn't work properly?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline bking85295

Changing channel order doesn't work properly?
« on: December 30, 2014, »
I have tried changing my channel order when I have switched certain light strands to one of my different LE boxes, for example.

When I change the channel order in 'Manage Profiles', it seems to save the change properly.

But when I go play a Sequence that is tied to that profile, the channel order hasn't changed (i.e. still in it's original order it was set at).

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Offline scharbon

Re: Changing channel order doesn't work properly?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, »
I think you are misunderstanding the Channel order option.  That just changes how the channels are presented in the Vixen UI.  It does not remap channels in Vixen to different channels on controllers.  That is still going to be something you have to manage at the hardware level.  Vixen 3 added that functionality (as did Vixen+ I think).

Let me know if I misunderstood your problem.

Steve

Offline bking85295

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, »
Let me give an example to see if I understand the limitations correctly.

If I have a palm tree currently set on Channel 3 on my 1st Lynx Express (overall system channel 3), and I physically change my extension cord routing and hardware to have it run to Channel 4 on my 2nd Lynx Express (overall system channel 20), is there no quick way to change the Vixen software (on Vixen 2.0) to move my channel order to reflect this hardware change?  i.e. move the palm tree from channel 3 to channel 20?

Offline scharbon

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let me give an example to see if I understand the limitations correctly.

If I have a palm tree currently set on Channel 3 on my 1st Lynx Express (overall system channel 3), and I physically change my extension cord routing and hardware to have it run to Channel 4 on my 2nd Lynx Express (overall system channel 20), is there no quick way to change the Vixen software (on Vixen 2.0) to move my channel order to reflect this hardware change?  i.e. move the palm tree from channel 3 to channel 20?

Given your more detailed explanation of what it is you want to do, then:
    1) I answered the correct question
    2) I believe I answered the question correctly

Unless someone corrects me because I am wrong (which is always likely), the only thing you can do is (assuming you are swapping channels 3 and 20):
1)  right click on channel 3
2) Copy the channel
3) paste it to an empty channel (one you are not using - say channel 100)
4) right click on Channel 20
5) Copy the channel
6) paste it into channel 3
7) Copy channel 100
8) Paste it into channel 20
9) Clear channel 100

I am not aware of remapping channels in Vixen to different output channels in the yard.  In fact, in one of the other Christmas light forums, a similar discussion just happened.  Someone thought it was possible (feature added) but they cannot figure it out.  I think he was thinking about Vixen+ or Vixen 3.
5)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, »
I would also do it the way scharbon stated.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline cody33rd

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, »
There is a much faster way.  You need to change the Output order, not the channel order.
To do this click on profiles and open the profile you are working with.  Then on the top left you will see three buttons next to your channel names.  One has a big green arrow on it.  If you mouse over that button it will say "change the channel outputs".  That will open a window where you can click and drag your channel to the output you are looking for.  This will save you from having to copy and paste, which can take a lot of time.  The other boxes below that one can make it faster to disable channels and change their color.
Springville Utah