Author Topic: How Far Can Vixen Go?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
How Far Can Vixen Go?
« on: January 12, 2015, »
Hey guys!

So I am currently still using vixen 2 and was looking into expanding my light selection. Ive been looking into rotating head spot lights and multi channel lasers, but i noticed that some of the channels control x and y rotations and other functions like that. Can vixen control these types of light fixtures or do i need something more complex.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: How Far Can Vixen Go?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, »
Vixen can do anything you want it to.  The question is whether that is the best tool for the job.  I can't tell you what would be the best to control your lasers, etc.  But if you know the channels and you know what they must do to move the heads, you just use the channel intensity function and the on and off functions for those channels.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Vixen can do anything you want it to.  The question is whether that is the best tool for the job.  I can't tell you what would be the best to control your lasers, etc.  But if you know the channels and you know what they must do to move the heads, you just use the channel intensity function and the on and off functions for those channels.

That is what really had me questioning; whether or not the intensity functions worked as controls to move the heads or not. I haven't really looked to far into all of the functions, different dmx boards, programs, etc. All new area to learn, but if Vixen can do the job, then it will be a great platform to begin learning. Thanks for answering!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, »
All that DMX has are intensity commands.  What matters is if your lights and lasers are DMX controlled and how they implement those intensity commands to control the lights functions.  Vixen can send the commands but it will be up to you to make sure that the correct channels are used and the correct values are sent to those channels. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving