Author Topic: Getting into dumb nodes  (Read 3310 times)

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
Getting into dumb nodes
« on: January 14, 2015, »
I want to expand my knowledge into dumb nodes. I came across this controller, which I feel is a nice controller for me, but I was wondering if it is compatible to work with Lynx? It is a DMX board, and I do not think there would be a problem, but I just want to make sure.

Also, if there is something like this here, I would gladly like to stay with Lynx equipment. I just like how I can control 9 dmx fixtures in one place vs. the 3 channel dumb controller I found in the wiki.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Getting into dumb nodes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, »
Yep it works just fine with Lynx, I've got one downstream from an Express.  The mr16 is similar if your wanting to stay all Lynx besides the connectors.

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, »
Yep it works just fine with Lynx, I've got one downstream from an Express.  The mr16 is similar if your wanting to stay all Lynx besides the connectors.

How did I miss the mr16 haha! Thanks for the response! Ill look into the units.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, »
I used the MR16 before...  it is nice.

I am using the Ray Wu controller now...  more channels, cheaper, preassembled.  you will need to create adapters for the XLR connectors.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, »
I used the MR16 before...  it is nice.

I am using the Ray Wu controller now...  more channels, cheaper, preassembled.  you will need to create adapters for the XLR connectors.

I ordered up some wire and connectors. I am going to have permanent wires attached to the board and then Ill use connectors to attach the lights to the board. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, »
I guess that my question would be, unless you already own these dumb nodes, why would you want to use them?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, »
I guess that my question would be, unless you already own these dumb nodes, why would you want to use them?

to be honest, i didn't put out my dumb nodes this past year.  i used the dumb nodes and the controllers in a rgb megatree -- but didn't like the look of it last year so it stayed in storage.

i agree with your point -- go directly to smart pixels... there isn;t much of a price difference.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, »
I do plan on going to smart pixels. I do however have some plans for a few elements that I do not necessarily need smart pixels for.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, »
They beat me to it... I think the cost savings of dumb gear is nil once you start adding it all up (4 wire, 4 cores, etc).  Remember you can program smart gear in string mode.  I used it alot.  It does seem redundant but works great!  You use the same controllers, wire, and programming.  Later, if you wanna change elements up, fix them, mod them, the gear can be adapted. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, »
I will soon be experimenting with smart nodes, do not worry guys! I actually want to do my roofline in them and various other projects. Smart nodes, to me, are an entirely different playing field. Granted, I am sure it is pretty simple stuff once I get the hang of it, but I still have to do all of research and learn how to properly control the darn things. Plus, a lot of calculating. 

Actually, if anyone has any links to any great tips and pointers for using, programming,etc ... smart nodes, please let me know about them!

Thanks for the help guys! :D

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, »
I have been "dumb" for two years now. It is a good primer for going smart IMO. I don't catch on as quick as some people. I do agree that the money spent is a wash with smart pixels.  I would point out that the 27 channel controller can only handle 15 amps total. Something to keep in mind as you crunch numbers.
I have 10 MR 16's and they are bulletproof.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, by SteveMaris »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, »
Yep, if you must go dumb the MR16 is the way for big game and do exactly what you plan to: wires to the board and forgo the spades.  A 350w PS and MR16 fit perfectly in a CG1500.  Ray's 27 is best bang for channel count.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, »
If you don't already own them, then don't waste your money on them.  As Steve and others are saying, the cost savings are close to nil over the smart strings and the dumb string controllers cost more money than the SSC.  Also, if you use a controller like the MR16 or the one at the top of the thread, now you need DMX and Pixelnet.  Going with just smart strings eliminated the need for DMX, at least as far as the nodes go.  Also, with one of these controllers you will need additional power supplies, cabinets, and wiring. 

I know that some feel that dumb strings are a good starting point but in reality, you can configure the SSC in string mode and your smart string acts like a dumb string with 3 channels controlling the entire string.  Later, when you decide that you want to advance your show, simply reconfigure the controller to either hybrid or pixel mode and you have full pixel control without costing a penny more and no changes required to existing layout unless you decide to move something.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, »
You may find that they look different, have a different color order ... in the end, go smart, stay as simple as possible ... the KISS prinicible, if followed with reward you over and over again.  I don't reccomend dumb nodes ... all of mine ended up being money wasted, wish I hadn't.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, »
Thanks for the tips! I will be going with smart nodes for most things. Like i said, i just have a few things that don't need to be smart nodes. Again, thanks for the tips!

If anyone has or knows of very informative videos and/or tutorials reguarding smart nodes for newbies, please let me know about them