Author Topic: Getting into dumb nodes  (Read 3311 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Getting into dumb nodes
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, »
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but even though a few things don't need smart strings, it is still better to use them there as well than to waste money on dumb strings and the separate controllers required to use them.  Later on, you may decide that you want something as simple as a multi-color look on these few items and dumb strings simply can't do that unless you use multiple strings and controllers. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline typoagain

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, »
I have several projects where I have used the rectangular 50/50 dumb nodes.
For example, I have four of the north poles that I have 9” globes on top of. I have used 4 dumb nodes to light up the globes and they work quite nicely. I have all four of the north poles running off 3 channels on an LE, and one 12V power supply.
I actually bought all of the material from Holiday Coro.
I have several other projects in the works where I will want to light up and object using groups of nodes and the 50/50 nodes are a cheap option that is easy to mount and easy to direct light output. I will also have a lot fewer parts that can go bad.
I actually just ordered something that many people around here would never consider buying: white-only flex strips! Those same north poles are not made of PVC pipe. The are actually rolled up pieces of coro and are lit from inside.
I have tried RBG inside the poles and I just do not like it. I just want white.  So I am stripping out the nodes I have inside and replacing it the white strips. (I have other uses for the nodes.)
While I agree with other the other folks here, (why go with dumb strings) I still believe that there is a time and a place where simpler technology is still the best.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, »
Where did you find the white only flex strips? 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, »
You can find them online. I've seen them on Amazon and ebay.