Author Topic: Snowfall Tubes  (Read 2635 times)

Offline vttinman

Snowfall Tubes
« on: January 19, 2015, »
I'm looking to build some snowfall tubes for next year and was looking for advice.  I keep going back and forth between flex strips with SSCs and FAST tubes.  Here are the advantages that I've come up with for each...

FAST Tubes:
  Slightly less expensive
  "Set it and forget it"
  Less wire for power distribution

Flex Strips:
  Can use any color
  Full control over rates and timing
  Can reuse the hardware later

What haven't I thought about?  I'm curious as to what others are using and how they like it. 

Offline tbone321

Re: Snowfall Tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, »
As far as the less wire goes, there really isn't any added wire when using flex strips and SSC's.  The SSC gets  its power and signal on the same cable and you could put the SSC on the top of the snowfall tube and hardwire the strip to the controller but even if you still use the 3 pin connector, there will still only be one wire going to the top of the tube, just like the FAST tube.  It will just be a different type. 

If you are creating a static display, then I would go with the FAST tube because like you said, they are set it and forget it devices.  If you intend to create an active display, then you will need a method to control them, even if it is just turning them on and off.  You would need an AC controller to do that and even then, there is the issue that many of these devices don't work well when connected to the output of a dimming controller.  When you add in the cost of the AC controller and possible relays to switch them on and off during your sequences, the cost savings just disappear.

As you also said, with the SSC setup, you not only have full control over the rates and timing, you have dynamic control over the device.  This allows you to change the rate, timing, color, and even pattern to suite your sequence as it runs which is something you simply cannot do with FAST tubes.  Sure, there is more work to do this but with the advances in NutCracker and Vixen, even that is not all that hard to do anymore.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, »
i made my tube using a smart string controller in each tube.
with the powered-pixelnet I could get good distances between each tube... i had a hub at the base of the tree and the tubes hung from various limbs... in fact I had the wire coming out from the bottom of the tube so that I wouldn't need to run wires within the tree.

i used WS2812 strips -- 60-pixels per meter, providing a nice level of resolution.
in each tube i used 2 strips back-to-back to provide nice light in 2 directions.
i connected each strip to the same data source so that I only needed to program 60 pixels (1M) and this provided a identical behavior front and back.
the strips were 5v, so I used buck converters after the smart string controller  to downgrade the 12v to the string's 5v.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, »
Here's an idea...

use an SSC, and a short string of pixels in each tube...
run the tubes kinda close together...  and keep each tube the same length..

not only do you have snowfall tubes...   you now have a decent sized matrix.  So you can a graphics, or text in addition to running snowfall (or for an even neater effect, run both at the same time!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kernal

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, »
^^i like it!!
My license plate says blinky.

Offline vttinman

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, »
Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's an idea...

use an SSC, and a short string of pixels in each tube...
run the tubes kinda close together...  and keep each tube the same length..

not only do you have snowfall tubes...   you now have a decent sized matrix.  So you can a graphics, or text in addition to running snowfall (or for an even neater effect, run both at the same time!

I was thinking about pulling paracord between a couple trees and hanging them from that, which would play nicely with a matrix.  ;D

with the powered-pixelnet I could get good distances between each tube... i had a hub at the base of the tree and the tubes hung from various limbs... in fact I had the wire coming out from the bottom of the tube so that I wouldn't need to run wires within the tree.

i used WS2812 strips -- 60-pixels per meter, providing a nice level of resolution.
in each tube i used 2 strips back-to-back to provide nice light in 2 directions.
i connected each strip to the same data source so that I only needed to program 60 pixels (1M) and this provided a identical behavior front and back.
the strips were 5v, so I used buck converters after the smart string controller  to downgrade the 12v to the string's 5v.

Could you provide more detail on the buck converters?  The ebay ones all seem to be limited to 3A with heatsinks and I'm not sure that's enough to drive 120 pixels (granted they likely won't all be on at the same time).

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, »
Could you provide more detail on the buck converters?  The ebay ones all seem to be limited to 3A with heatsinks and I'm not sure that's enough to drive 120 pixels (granted they likely won't all be on at the same time).

IF you are going to string out 120 nodes on one controller, it would be a bad idea to go with 5V strips.  The SSC is a 12V controller for a reason and that reason is to reduce voltage drop on long strings.  The 12V strips are about the same price as the 5V ones so when you add in the cost of the buck converter there is no cost savings there and most long strings on 5V require power injection which could actually increase your costs. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, »
good eye... I had 3A buck converters, and 2 failed -- but I replaced them and the 10 had no issues -- even with full white.
i have considered some changes...  running 5v at the hub (assuming that i have a string controller that works with 5v)   or using a separate buck converter for each strip.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, »

Great idea Steve! What kind of tubes/caps are you using? And where did you source them?
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, »
I think this was the size I used:

And I used a PVC end cap -- which was slightly larger than the tube -- but with hot glue, I had a great seal/connection.

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, »
I think this was the size I used:

And I used a PVC end cap -- which was slightly larger than the tube -- but with hot glue, I had a great seal/connection.

Excellent, easy to find. Thanks!
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC

Offline vttinman

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, »
Thanks Steve and tbone.  In a quest for some 12v strips, I stumbled upon some WS2812B strips in Ray's store.  They're 60 pixels per meter and it looks like they have buck converters built into the backs of the strip every half meter.  This seems like the perfect application for them.  Can anyone confirm that they'll work with the SSCs?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, »

do you have a link?  that would be a nice solution..

Thanks Steve and tbone.  In a quest for some 12v strips, I stumbled upon some WS2812B strips in Ray's store.  They're 60 pixels per meter and it looks like they have buck converters built into the backs of the strip every half meter.  This seems like the perfect application for them.  Can anyone confirm that they'll work with the SSCs?

Offline vttinman

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, »

do you have a link?  that would be a nice solution..

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, »
This strip looks very nice and should do well. myself, I'd prefer to have a waterproof version of the strip. 

in my first generation of the tubes I didn't do a great job with keeping the water out of the top -- i used through the cap and it wicked the water.  fortunately I had waterproof strips and had no problem.  so, having IP68 is a good precaution.