Author Topic: Unable to program etherdongle. No Device, VDDCORE/VCAP error  (Read 6693 times)

Offline chadowamsley

Hello,

I purcahsed an etherdongle kit from another member and finally got around to building today. I have my pickit 3, Pickit 3 program application and also mplab, but none of the programs will connect to device. Green led on etd is on.  The pickit 3 application doesnt show PIC32MX795F512L in the device drop down. Pickit 3 app says no device detected. Ensure proper capacitance on VDDCORE/VCAP pin. Im reading through the forum, but have been unable so far to find my answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, by chadowamsley »

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
I don't have a ETD but my PICKit3 does show the PIC32MX795F512L. Make sure you have selected "All" in the "Device Family" menu...  Can't help you with anything else though....
zappedmyself.com

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Forget the pickit 3 app.  It is old and garbage.  Go to start programs, microchip, mplab and select the ipe program.  Off the top of my head you go to settings and advanced.  Put in the password it is right on the screen.  Then under power select the power the device from the pickit then go back to operate and try to do the programming.  There is a longer better write up in a thread from a couple of months ago.  Else PM me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chadowamsley

Thank you for the replies. Using IDE Im still unable to connect to device.

Offline chadowamsley

And using MPLAB IDE, It fails to connect to the pickit 3.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Try plugging in the etd to power supply and that will power it up  then try to program it .  also do what jnealand suggested at the same time. A couple of people had to change usb ports for the pickit3 . A couple of things to try if you haven't already.

Joe

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
In your last post you are using IDE. You want to use IPE  seems to work better

Offline chadowamsley

Ive tried all the usb ports and still the same thing. I tried using IPE, I only tried IDE after IPE wouldnt work. Trying to find an answer. Thank You.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you for the replies. Using IDE Im still unable to connect to device.

I think you need to go under the power button (IPE advanced options) from what I remember and check a box to tell it to power the chip at 3.3v.  It's confusing and took a me a few tries.

Offline chadowamsley

I go into advanced, select it to power, but its unable to power the board. In IPE Im unable to connect when I hit connect.

One attachment is showing power is selected. The other picture is showing unable to connect and then that its unable to power board from usb.

Offline tbone321

Have you used this Pickit-3 before?  The first thing that I would do is replace the USB cable and see of MPLab can connect to the Pickit-3 then.  If not, I would contact the manufacturer and see if this is a warranty issue for the device.  You can also try a different USB port on the PC as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chadowamsley

This is my first time using the pickit 3. Ive always used the pickit2 for my other controllers. Ive tried multiple pcs, every usb port in my house, and two different usb cables. I was coming on to ask if it could possibly be the pickit 3 that is defective considering mplab isnt able to connect. Im guessing that is the issue now. If the pickit was good, I should be able to connect even if the edongle was bad.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
One more thing you can try is to completely uninstall mlab and try a fresh install.. when I wastrying to set up my etd I had tried so many things and just started over. Just an idea. Do the lights come on for the pickit When you plug it in to the computer.

Joe

Offline chadowamsley

I've tried installing and reinstalling mplab.  The lights ppb the the first two lights on the pickit come on butt not the status. 

Offline peteywhit

I also just built my ETD the other day and when I started to program it I had problems.

I ultimately got it to work in Pickit3 app by having the usb cord plugged into a usb 3.0 slot and unplugged the mini usb from the pickit and plugging it back in.

It was very trivial so that may not work for you but it did for me.

I never got the green light on the pickit until I unplugged the cable from itself and plugged it back in.

Blake Whittington
Offshore ROV Technician