Author Topic: What's the difference from SSC versions  (Read 2033 times)

Offline lawn patrol

What's the difference from SSC versions
« on: January 27, 2015, »
Currently I have v2 SSC without the mod. I'm wondering what exactly the mod does. From reading the wiki and looking at the comparison chart it looks like you gain distance from the hub to the controller.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My other question is I just purchased 3 and 4 core connectors from ray ru has any one else used these on the controllers and do they work good?

I was able to get free shipping it took a little work into convincing them because at first the answer was no.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: What's the difference from SSC versions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, »
the mod basically improves the reliability at longer distances to the first pixel.

maybe... there are some other features like grouping that come with v3 firmware.  i'm unsure.

i don't believe an updated v3 firmware was ever created with more color order choices... so that will not be improved with the mod.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, »
Version 1 is as expected, the original version.  It worked well but did have some issues not working on some strings when the test controller from Ray would.

Version 2 was a redesign to fix the issue with Ver 1 but it actually made it a little worse.  If you have version 2 SSC's, I would consider making the modification to convert it to Ver 3

Version 3 is the modification to either Ver 1 or Ver 2 SSC's.  This mod does correct the problem that the two previous versions had.

Version 4 is a complete redesign of the SCC.  It uses a different PIC and is smaller and costs a little less than the previous SCC's.

If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, »
Thanks for the information the v2 SSC have been working good for me. Since I'm replacing all the pigtails with 3 and 4 core connectors I'll just do the mod too.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, »
Last year I converted five SSCv1 to the v3 mod during the Christmas season to try and help with flaky and stuck nodes (What was I thinking, during season??) I should have left well enough alone because I couldn't get any of the 5 controllers to work after the mod. I am very familiar with SSC setup and programming, so even after triple checking everything it still did not work. So at the time I needed them for my show and converted them back to v1 and they continued to work fine.

I have since purchased enough SSC4 to replace all my SSCv1. The v4 SSC and supposedly the v3 mod have less problems with flaky nodes by improving the data line output signal.
Since I switched to SSCv4 I have had less problems with nodes.

I am not trying to say not to do the mod, just don't go crazy and test 1 out before you change them all.

As far as the waterproof pigtails, I have begun to convert all of my SSCs to 4 core and 3 core waterproof pigtails. The ones I used this past season had no problems. Some of my older cat5 pigtails have had problems with corrosion.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, »
All my SSCs are v3.  Have not had any problems with them.  I have a bunch that are mounted under the eaves and under my front porch roof, they use a 3 core output and the cat5 input connector.  All have been working good for 3 years.  All the SSCs that are out in the yard and more exposed to the elements use the 3 core waterproof output and either have a 4 core waterproof input or have a direct cat5 (about 3 ft) long enough to go all the way into the battery box with the passive hub so the cat5 connector is not exposed to the elements.  All have worked good.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, »
I am not trying to say not to do the mod, just don't go crazy and test 1 out before you change them all.

I was thinking about that too so I'm definitely only going to test it on one SSC at first. Although almost positive I'll have no issue.

I'm waiting on a coop to get some v4 SSC

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, »
Just finished doing 15 ssc, fixed my issues I was seeing.  Just take your time and like stated test on 1 first to see if it really resolves your issue.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, »
Last year I converted five SSCv1 to the v3 mod during the Christmas season to try and help with flaky and stuck nodes (What was I thinking, during season??) I should have left well enough alone because I couldn't get any of the 5 controllers to work after the mod. I am very familiar with SSC setup and programming, so even after triple checking everything it still did not work. So at the time I needed them for my show and converted them back to v1 and they continued to work fine.

I have since purchased enough SSC4 to replace all my SSCv1. The v4 SSC and supposedly the v3 mod have less problems with flaky nodes by improving the data line output signal.
Since I switched to SSCv4 I have had less problems with nodes.

As far as the waterproof pigtails, I have begun to convert all of my SSCs to 4 core and 3 core waterproof pigtails. The ones I used this past season had no problems. Some of my older cat5 pigtails have had problems with corrosion.

You need to check the modified boards and make sure that you completely cut through the trace.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, »
You need to check the modified boards and make sure that you completely cut through the trace.

Cut through the trace x2 and then tested with a multimeter for continuity.

I should probably try and mod some of the ones I have sitting around that I am not using, I could resell them. ;D
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, »

and changed the firmware to the v3 level?

Cut through the trace x2 and then tested with a multimeter for continuity.

I should probably try and mod some of the ones I have sitting around that I am not using, I could resell them. ;D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, »
and changed the firmware to the v3 level?

Yes I did.

I have new controllers now and they work fine.
If I happen to open my junk drawer and pull out those old v1 controllers i will give the conversion another try.
-Brian
-------------