Author Topic: Question on Hub Jumpers  (Read 1501 times)

Offline chadowamsley

Question on Hub Jumpers
« on: January 29, 2015, »
Hello,

Ive been through about 25 pages and unable to find my answer. Im trying to find how to place the jumpers for programming and also how to place the jumpers to use 2 universes. I see two sets of jumper locations labeled 1-4, but unsure of what Im doing there. Ive looked through the wiki also and havent been able to locate my answer. Im new to anything besides Renard controllers, so Im trying to learn. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Question on Hub Jumpers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, »
Hub jumpers have nothing to do with programming.  The universe jumpers select which universe the hub is responding to.  Both jumpers must be the same.  They each control one wire of a pair so they must be on the same universe.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, »
Ok I just wasn't sure if I had to do anything special as with the ssc board jumpers when programming.
So if I have my first two f16 controllers using two and a half universes,  I would set my hub to universe 3 since that is where it will start. My ssc controllers well be programmed for universe 3 and some of universe 4.

I was a little confused thinking I head to have two universes selected if the board was going to be handling more than 1 universe.

Thank you

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, »
I've had issues with programming the start channel on the ssc if the hub is not set to universe 1 (both jumpers to 1).  I've always had to program the start channel 1-4096 and then the actual channel will be different depending on the universe the hub is at.  So for example.

I want to use SSC on Universe 2 channel 1.  I would program the the SSC with channel 1 but the actual channel in software would be 4097 (first channel of Universe 2)

A hub can only respond to a single universe (4096 channels).  As stated each jumper needs to be the same, its selecting what wire pair from the cat5 coming in for the hub to respond to.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, »
Ok. I thought the hubs could do up to 2 universes,  guys I got these mixed up with the Zeus controllers.  Good to know since I was planning to run 16 - 100 count strings.

So if my hub was starting in the middle of universe 2, I would still set the board to 2, and then my ssc could use the remaining channels in universe 2 and start on universe 3 channels.

Or I just leave jumpers on the hub to universe 1 always?

Sorry for questions, I'm sure I'm making this harder on myself than what it is. I have s habit of over thinking things.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, »
The DLA hub can only do ONE pixelnet universe at a time.

For programming your SSC, it is recommended you do this from universe #1.

when selecting a universe, make sure that BOTH jumpers are set to the same number...
universe #1 -- set first jumper to 1, and the second jumper also to 1

universe #2 -- set first jumper to 2, and the second jumper also to 2

universe #3 -- set first jumper to 3, and the second jumper also to 3

universe #4 -- set first jumper to 4, and the second jumper also to 4

within the selected pixelnet universe you can also select a 512 channel page and have it be available as a dmx universe.

regardless of how which pixelnet universe you select -- the SSC is always configured to a start channel from 1-4096.  the SSC only sees its small world where channels are in that 1-4096 range.

regardless of which page of channels exposed as a DMX universe, the DMX-attached devices are always assigned a channel from 1-512.  the DMX devices only see an even smaller world where channels are in that 1-512 range.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok. I thought the hubs could do up to 2 universes,  guys I got these mixed up with the Zeus controllers.  Good to know since I was planning to run 16 - 100 count strings.

So if my hub was starting in the middle of universe 2, I would still set the board to 2, and then my ssc could use the remaining channels in universe 2 and start on universe 3 channels.

Or I just leave jumpers on the hub to universe 1 always?

Sorry for questions, I'm sure I'm making this harder on myself than what it is. I have s habit of over thinking things.

If you are going to run 16 100 count strings, then you are going to need two hubs, simple as that.  What will be tricky is setting the start channels of the SSC's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving