Author Topic: E-Mail Notifications  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Don Gillespie

E-Mail Notifications
« on: February 01, 2015, »
So today I just received the email notification that the Co-op for the LE's is going to happen, I wanted to change my email from my home PC to my laptop but the system won't let me. I went into acc settings my home email is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and my laptop is d&You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is there a reason it will not let me make that change, it says it has to be a legitimate email, which it is.

Also is there a way to receive notifications sooner as the Co-op announcement has been on here for at least a week already?

Offline tbone321

Re: E-Mail Notifications
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, »
I am surprised that you were allowed to use that as an address.  The & is a special character and is not normally used in an email address which is giving you the error here.  This site is using it that way and even in your post, you can see that the first two characters are not included in the second email address you listed.  The posting of the coop thread is what triggers the notification and that is when the coop starts.  Until it starts, there is no way or reason to send a notification. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Don Gillespie

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am surprised that you were allowed to use that as an address.  The & is a special character and is not normally used in an email address which is giving you the error here.  This site is using it that way and even in your post, you can see that the first two characters are not included in the second email address you listed.  The posting of the coop thread is what triggers the notification and that is when the coop starts.  Until it starts, there is no way or reason to send a notification.

I have been using the d&g address for about 7 years, I guess there are some sites that don't like it, most others accept it for me.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, »
The & is a special character and is not normally used in an email address which is giving you the error here.

While the ampersand (&) is a special character in HTML, RFC5321 indicates that any ASCII character can be used in the "local part" of an email address (that to the left of the @ sign) and an ampersand is certainly an ASCII character.

Now the input validation routine on this bulletin board software might not allow the ampersand, but that doesn't make it a "special" character as far as the email system is concerned.

\dmc

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, »
Actually, it's any 7 bit ASCII character and while it may not be explicitly excluded, it is still a special character in many cases such as HTML and the Unix and Linux command line and is not one of the best characters for use in an email address especially when there are so many others that you can without possible conflict.  This site gives a pretty good list of yes, no and maybe characters to be used in an email address. 

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, »
Actually, it's any 7 bit ASCII character and while it may not be explicitly excluded, it is still a special character in many cases such as HTML and the Unix and Linux command line and is not one of the best characters for use in an email address especially when there are so many others that you can without possible conflict.  This site gives a pretty good list of yes, no and maybe characters to be used in an email address. 

As does Wikipedia, which may be more thoroughly vetted ...

\dmc

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, »
Wikipedia is not known for being well vetted.  When I went back to school not all that long ago, Wikipedia was the one NAMED site that we were not allowed to reference in any term papers for that very reason.  Just about anyone can post in Wikipedia and what they post as fact can be completely wrong with no vetting at all.  The article that you posted appears to be accurate but is far from complete.  It doesn't list any of the issues with using some of these characters like the ampersand, the back tick, the forward or backslash, and other characters that have real power on the OS command line and are simply filtered out by many systems in a world where attacks on them are the norm.  It also doesn't talk about the funky and sometimes confusing formatting required to use many of them.  It shows the ampersand being used with no problem but as we have seen here, that is not always the way it goes.  In a world of constant system attacks and the need to increase security to block them, you will find that despite RFC2821 and RFC2822, many systems will block or filter out many of these "special" characters allowed by these RFC's which will limit or prevent the use of email addresses that contain them.  This type of discussion can quickly turn into a pissing contest so before that has the chance of happening, I will end my part in it now 

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, »
So today I just received the email notification that the Co-op for the LE's is going to happen, I wanted to change my email from my home PC to my laptop but the system won't let me. I went into acc settings my home email is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and my laptop is d&You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is there a reason it will not let me make that change, it says it has to be a legitimate email, which it is.
Just out of curiosity, why do you use different e-mail accounts on different machines?  Having multiple e-mail accounts is one thing, but why exclusively access one account from one machine and the other from the other?  It's no big trick to access all one's accounts from every machine.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, »
I've wondered the same thing, I use MORE than 3 machines and I access ALL my email accounts from each of those machines.  I do know that Don is trying to keep his business email on one machine and his personal email on another machine, but to me there is no reason not to access all the accounts on any computer, tablet, or smart phone you have in your hand at the time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, »
That really depends on what protocol you are using for your email and where you are getting your email.  If you are using POP3, then you can wind up with a real mess of different emails on different machines since POP3 always downloads and removes the email from the server so if you open it on machine A, then you will never see it on machine B.  IMAP4 OTOH, allows you to view the mail in place and in that case, then you can view the same email on multiple machines. 

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, »
That is not quite true.  Every POP3 client of which I am aware offers the option to download and delete or to leave the e-mail on the server.  It is true that using multiple POP3 clients can result in a hash of read and unread messages across multiple PCs, and does result in a number of management headaches.  Becasue of that, Many ISPs provide IMAP servers as well as POP3 servers.  That, or the end user can do what I do and provide my own IMAP server.