Author Topic: Multimeter recommendations  (Read 1184 times)

Offline galgon

Multimeter recommendations
« on: February 05, 2015, »
My multimeter is reaching end of life and I was in need of an upgrade anyway.  What must have features do we need in a multimeter for this hobby.  Can you recommend any specific meters?
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Multimeter recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, »
of course you could never go wrong with a Fluke, but i have a cheap craftsman and it works great! for 30 bucks, i will not complain.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, »
What you need I can't say.  I can say that I tried an ExTech 330 and wanted to like it but could only get it to work half the time.  After warming up to the price, I went with a pre-owned Fluke 87v and I have to say it's the best tool I have bought in a long time.  It works, it fast and it's accurate.

But then you are right.  I have a $10 manual ranging cheapo that worked ok too.  You don't have to break the bank if you can find one that you like.

Offline Scott4864

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, »
I'll give Fluke another vote. I have a Fluke 77 that works great. I think I've had it for over 20 years.

I recently got a Extech MA220 that is a clamp on AC/DC amp meter. The main reason I got it was to check current draw on pixels. There aren't very many clamp on meters that will measure DC current. 

Offline mangoat

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, »
i have me a TPI 440 Scope.  but i have that for various reasons.  including tuning audio systems and the like using the scope side of things.  but for majority of work, a 30$ multi is usually sufficient.

cheers

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, »
Radio Shack sells some reasonable voltmeters.  I have had a couple of them, one analog and one digital, that I have used for several decades.  The DVM actually went swimming one time.  I figured it was a goner, but after drying it out thoroughly, it came right back to life.  Most hobbyists don't really need anything more than a very basic model.