Author Topic: Communication Issue  (Read 10655 times)

Offline LasVegasF250

Communication Issue
« on: February 06, 2015, »
I built 4 Aethers II from the last coop. Programmed PIC with test firmware and it goes through the cycle just fine. Re flashed PIC with the normally operating firmware and nothing, there is no communication. Pulled the RS-485 chip tested with a new one from the coop still no go, tried the other chips same problem. So I pull the RS-485 from a Aether II from a earlier coop and everything work as it should.

I thought maybe I some how fried the RS-485 Chips or I ordered more from mouser #SN75176AP installed one of them same issue.

Any thoughts as to go next?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Communication Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, »
My guess would be a cold solder joint(s). Since you said it worked one time with an older re-485 chip.
Reflow the solder joints.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, »
My guess would be a cold solder joint(s). Since you said it worked one time with an older re-485 chip.
Reflow the solder joints.

Rick R.

All four are doing the same thing. They will work fine with the older RS-485 (ST485RN) all the time not just once. It's a weird one.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, »
It appears that the replacement RS-485 may not be as compatible as once thought. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, »
Has anyone built a Aether from the last coop and if so are you see the same issue?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, »
Has anyone built a Aether from the last coop and if so are you see the same issue?

I built one from the last coop and I had no issues. It worked all season without any problems.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, »
What RS-485 is it using?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, »
I maybe be silly, but I think the question/concern about the replacement for the rs-485 chip should be asked as the main subject in the troubleshooting forum.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, »
I would think that the troubleshooting section should be more targeted to general or more encompassing issues or issues where the exact cause is unknown such as my display stopped working.  Since this problem is a specific issue with the Aether II, I can't think of a better place to put it.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, »
I would think that the troubleshooting section should be more targeted to general or more encompassing issues or issues where the exact cause is unknown such as my display stopped working.  Since this problem is a specific issue with the Aether II, I can't think of a better place to put it.

I have to disagree, IF the RS-485 replacement chip is not compatible, than that will effect all of the boards. Where members won't be looking at this post for their problems with other boards. Reason why I started a new post in the troubleshoot section.

As per your post:
It appears that the replacement RS-485 may not be as compatible as once thought. 

If the new chip is fine than we can move forward with just an isolate issue with this Aether.
Which I truly hope is the issue and people will reply no compatible issues with the replacement chip.

Clear as mud?

Rick R.

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, »
This my be a dumb questions but shouldn't the Aether 2 RS485 be the same as the LE's?

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, »
Yes, the Aether uses the same chip as the LE.  The part we used to use (ST485BN) is no longer available, so we came up with a substitute that appears, at least in a few Aethers, to have issues.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Aether to test with.

/mike

Offline cpt_hammer

• The Hammer Lights
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, »
Same issue here.  Built two of them and with the test file works fine.  But no luck with any communications.  Thought I was programming it wrong.  Where did you get the old 485 chips?

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, »
Same issue here.  Built two of them and with the test file works fine.  But no luck with any communications.  Thought I was programming it wrong.  Where did you get the old 485 chips?

Not sure if you direct the question at me. The only older chips I have and the ones I used for testing came from LE or older Aether 2.

Offline cpt_hammer

• The Hammer Lights
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, »
Follow RJs instructions with the new chips and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk