Author Topic: Everyone's recommended way to order from Ray Wu??  (Read 8978 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi folks,

So how are you ordering from Ray? Do you just use the online form or do you contact him either in chat or email?

I think if people share what they think is the best way will help newer members.

Thanks

Rick R.

P.S. Since I have only ordered once I can't be of much help, since that was the very first year of the Smart Strings.

Results: (You can get better shipping quotes when Email or Chat or Facebook instead of just using his online order form)
First option is to email Ray for prices and shipping

Notes:
For 2015, CNY officially begins on February 19th and ends February 25th. Our experience with prior CNY holidays tells us that we should conservatively plan for no production or shipments leaving China during the entire month of February and for reduced output during the first half of March 2015

Make up a spreadsheet of what you want with the link to the items as a field, the quanity, a copy of the description, any notes of custom modifications you want.

You can order/specify custom items -- spacing between pixels, extra-long wire on at the start and/or end of the string, wire color, (waterproof) connectors, etc.
I also had Ray put in Ultra Violet LEDs in a DMX-controlled flood enclosure instead of RGB.

If you are trying to get things quick, don't order custom items...  Or, treat the custom items as a separate order so that the non-customized items are not held up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline royce

Re: Everyone's recommended way to order from Ray Wu??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, »
I'VE CONTACTED RAY USING E-MAIL AND HAVE HAD GREAT  RESPONSE FROM HIM.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, »
He is also on Facebook. You can message and ask for quotes there.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, »
I've ordered at least twice a year.  I always use email and ask for a quote.  Then I may or may not try to negotiate a better price on product or shipping.  Always ask if the product is in stock and what the expected ship date might be.  Always use paypal to pay him.  I used a credit card and will never do that again has it required multiple contacts with my credit card company to get the charge to clear and then you may also get hit with a foreign transaction fee from the card issuer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, »
The ones that contacted him by email may want to supply the email address that you used.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, »
I order a couple times a year, usually doing a bulk buy for the Austin area. 

You can get better shipping quotes through email.

I usually send email to each of Ray's addresses -- just to make sure he gets the message. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginm
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, »
Making up a spreadsheet of what you want with the link to the items as a field, the quanity, a copy of the description, any notes of custom modifications you want.

Ray was very high on shipping the last time I was trying to order some cables and floods, it was cheaper to through in a group buy and then pay to reship by 30% over what Ray wanted to charge to ship just my portion of the order.

Another option is to add the trade manager app to your pc and chat with Ray there, but figure a few days of going back and forth and that it will NOT ship when Ray says it will at least 2x maybe 3x.

Alan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, »
Another thing, what are the "good" and "bad" times of the year to order or not to order?

I know China shuts down for about a month.

Thanks.

I'll start compiling the info to my first post.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, »

You can order/specify custom items -- spacing between pixels, extra-long wire on at the start and/or end of the string, wire color, (waterproof) connectors, etc.
I also had Ray put in Ultra Violet LEDs in a DMX-controlled flood enclosure instead of RGB.

If you are trying to get things quick, don't order custom items...  Or, treat the custom items as a separate order so that the non-customized items are not held up.

Ok... here is another use of the word "custom"... :)

I have heard people say that customs charges have been received sometime after the shipment...  I've not see that.  My shipments come to me via DHL...  maybe they handle things differently than the other shippers? I'm interested in hearing how other people fair with customs and the different shipping companies.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, »
I don't know if this is consistent everywhere, but I did read this:

For 2015, CNY officially begins on February 19th and ends February 25th. Our experience with prior CNY holidays tells us that we should conservatively plan for no production or shipments leaving China during the entire month of February and for reduced output during the first half of March 2015

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, »
I added everyone's info to the first post.

Hope it helps

Thanks for helping me and please continue to add if we are missing anything.

Thanks again

Rick R.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, »
i have made several orders to ray just by going to the link in the wiki. on the left hand side of the site page, there is a contact  now tab. i have chatted with ray directly every time i have made an order and i have had no issues. best time to get a hold of ray is sunday threw thursday after 9pm eastern time.  i pay threw paypal. September is Chinese new year so if you want to make an order, do it at the end of july or early august. i did make an order in september and it was really close to getting it on time to use that season.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline royce

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, »
[

I have heard people say that customs charges have been received sometime after the shipment...  I've not see that.  My shipments come to me via DHL...  maybe they handle things differently than the other shippers? I'm interested in hearing how other people fair with customs and the different shipping companies.

[/quote]

I placed a order with Ray in December less than $300 and Dhl sent me a bill $17.47 for custom duty. I was surprised I got a bill.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, »
I have placed at least two orders every year with Ray and have not seen a customs invoice.  I recall that everything came via DHL except for one order two years ago.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, »
I just placed an order from ray wu a couple weeks ago. I used the chat option and was able to get free shipping however I didn't order any lights just 50 pigtails.

During December I emailed him for a quote of 50 strips I'm pretty sure it would of been the same price if I added to cart without emailing. Unless you want your lights modified I probably won't email again.

If I decide to order from ray i will try the chat option.