Author Topic: Where can we get LED Light strings cheap?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline lrhorer

Where can we get LED Light strings cheap?
« on: February 08, 2015, »
Does anyone have a good source for purchasing moderate numbers of LED light strings at reasonable cost?  Regular GE, Philips, or Sylvania strings run around $11, which is very expensive when one is considering buying upwards of 70 strings.  The cheapest solution I have found is the Chinese "Fairy" light strings available on ebay.  100 LED strings can be had for about $6 each with shipping, but that is still pretty expensive.  What's more, the "Fairy" lights have built-in controllers that are not only unnecessary, but in fact have to be removed, requiring one to employ a fairly significant amount of work (again, when one is talking about modifying 70 strings).

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Where can we get LED Light strings cheap?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, »
Welcome to our world.  I have bought a lot of LED lights from Big Lots and they seem to work well, but you won't find them until Sept or Oct.  Expect to pay at least $8 a box from them.  Incans seem cheaper, but the colors are not as bright and the cost of electricity is much higher.  This is NOT a cheap hobby, but it is fun, very interesting and a rewarding hobby.  When you buy always buy a couple of extra strings so when one breaks you have something that matches the color, number of bulbs, and the lighted string length.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, »
my first year buying lights from china was with KaxLED:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I found that the quality of the lights from the local stores was poor, I never got enough lights that looked like they "belonged" since they all came from different sources. 

The KaxLED lights also were full phase and looked very bright and color rich.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, »
There are a number of pre-sales going now north country lights or high country lights something like that has a list running.

However, it's not cheap to buy high quality led lights that will last years.  Some folks have good luck with box store leds, however I just bit the bullet last year and bought the commercial ones on the pre-sale.  There were some supplier issues and they can way too late for comfort.

My 70 count strings were in the $10.50 range each + the shippoing.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Welcome to our world.  I have bought a lot of LED lights from Big Lots and they seem to work well, but you won't find them until Sept or Oct.  Expect to pay at least $8 a box
Even a $3 difference represents a savings of around $250.  That is quite significant.

This is NOT a cheap hobby, but it is fun, very interesting and a rewarding hobby.
Irrespective of how interesting or rewarding, I don't want to have to pay more than I have to.  Looking at it from a different angle, I am definitely on a budget, and the less I have to spend on each string, the more strings I can afford to make part of  the show.
When you buy always buy a couple of extra strings so when one breaks you have something that matches the color, number of bulbs, and the lighted string length.
Insurance is always good advice.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, »
my first year buying lights from china was with KaxLED:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't see any prices or even a means to order merchandise.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, »
Hmm.  Something just occurred to me.  How about a coop for LED light strings?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, »
Cheap and LED's don't go together.

Your wish for a coop based experience is granted.  Follow this link.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, »
I have ordered from Magic in the Sky for the last 3 years on their presale and would order from them again. Their presale runs until Feb 13.

Commercial quality sealed full wave LED strings.
Out of the 500 strings I ordered from them only 3 strings have had problems with lights out, 2 red and 1 blue. I think they were all from the first year (3 years old). I believe they come with a 1 year warranty too.

Presale terms on this page:
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, »
Do you need an account to see a pre-sale price?  I used your link and after clicking the shopping link, all I'm seeing are in stock items at pretty much standard prices.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, »
Here's my list I try to keep updated pretty regular.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, »
Ok, I guess that is the presale price even though they claim to have them in stock.  I guess that those remain there.  Thanks for the list.  It does get a little tuff getting 100 count soft white M5's with white strings.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, »
Nice list, I think I will refer people to your site now.

The prices listed currently at Magic in the Sky are their presale prices. They sent me a sheet with prices earlier last month and it matches.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, »
From what I read, Holiday Light Express and Magic In The Sky use the same supplier.  Last year and this year HLE ordered a container of commonly sold lights before the presale so they had some inventory to ship when the presale started.  I ordered in December and received half my order (common colors) already with the rest expected in March (warm white).  Those that order now, regardless of the company or color will probably receive their orders in August/September. 

They are more expensive up front, but the quality and consistency have been very good.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, »
I forgot to mention.  The reason why you see inventory available at HLE is that they ship your order when it's "All" in stock.  The reason I was able to get my order early this year was I did two orders, one that had everything in stock, and one later where I had to wait.