Author Topic: lynx express v5 getting data signal, leds light up, need help  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Hamblinj

Brand new to this and just built my first Lynxs Express. I have gone over my Solders again and when I test am getting data, however the leds are not lighting up when I actually send the signal I'll attach a couple pictures so you can see my work. I'm ok with some basic troubleshooting but maybe looking for someone to take a look at it. When I run test mode all leds light up, and I can get lights to light when running test.  The data light is on, and we have re flashed the chip already as well. We have also replaced the 485 as well and no change  Any help would be awesome!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, by Hamblinj »

Offline SteveMaris

Software setup issue perhaps?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Hamblinj

We have connected it to a currently functioning system, and re flashed the chip twice.  When we swap with a known functioning dmx it works fine. What else should I check?

Offline tbone321

It looks like the chip beneath the transformer is in backwards.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Hamblinj

good eye!  just moved it and problem still is happening.

Offline txburr

One of the guys here in San Antonio has the same issue with one board, that was working in his 2013 display.  We have swapped chips with a working board and still are not able to communicate / control lights from his board.  Will be watching this thread to see what other ideas pop up

Offline tbone321

The chip that was in backwards sends the zero cross signal to the PIC and without this signal, the PIC will not know when to switch on the lights and will do nothing.  It is possible that this chip may have been damaged when it was put in backwards.  If you have another LE kit, I would try the chip from that kit (put in correctly) and see what happens.  The fact that it is working in test mode and is lighting the signal LED shows that it is receiving the signal and the PIC and Triacs are working properly.  The PIC just doesn't know when to switch on the Triacs.

Offline Hamblinj

another issue, ran test mode with lights on the board, and it fried channel 1's 180 ohm resister.  This is the second time this has happened.  I will try to replace the chips and run again..

Offline tbone321

That indicates a bad or cold solder joint on the triac which is causing it to pull the load through the resistor.  You really need to crank up the heat on the iron when soldering the triacs.