Author Topic: Noobie question - SOLVED  (Read 4355 times)

Offline peteywhit

Noobie question - SOLVED
« on: February 10, 2015, »
Ok to start off, this is my first setup ever and I have looked every where for answers.

My setup:

Windows 8.1 64 bit
Vixen 3.1u2 Build #66
EtherDongle v1.0 - PIC is flashed with EtherDongle_DMX.hex
Lynx Express v5.0 - PIC is flashed with LE_Firmware_09_2010.hex

All I'm trying to do is figure out how to start sequencing channels on the express.

When I run the test function on the express, all 16 LED's light up in order and flash and then the ch. 2 and 4 stay lit. When my strand of lights are plugged in, they follow along with the LED's.

I have cat5 connecting my computer to the EtherDongle. EtherDongle is plugged into 120vAC outlet. Green LED is on. Green LED on MagJack is on and yellow LED is flashing fast. Cat5 is on the Pixelnet(DMX) output connected to the Express DMX input. A single strand of 50 red LED lights are on the 1st channel. The wireless and termination jumpers are on. The Data Link LED is off. The 5V LED is on. The 3.3V LED is on. Starting channel is 001.

So I don't know if the computer is sending the right language to the EtherDongle or if it isn't passing the EtherDongle to the Express.

Display Setup.jpg shows my configuration and Sequence.jpg just shows that I have one channel using the twinkle effect. If you guys think the reason is software related then let me know and I'll ask in their forum.

Thanks, Blake
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, by peteywhit »

Offline egenoup

Re: Noobie question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, »
Was the Etherdongle programmed with the DMX firmware or the Pixelnet version? 

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Was the Etherdongle programmed with the DMX firmware or the Pixelnet version?

It is flashed with the DMX firmware

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, »
Based on what you telling us, it sure seems like the LE is not getting a DMX signal.  With everything connected.  If you go thru the test cycle on the LE the led labeled DMX should also be lit up.  i.e., you should have 3 leds lit after going thru the test cycle on the LE.  If that 3rd one is not lit up then it is an indication that no DMX connection has been made.  Seems like you need to concentrate on the Etherdongle for troubleshooting.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, »
Based on what you telling us, it sure seems like the LE is not getting a DMX signal.  With everything connected.  If you go thru the test cycle on the LE the led labeled DMX should also be lit up.  i.e., you should have 3 leds lit after going thru the test cycle on the LE.  If that 3rd one is not lit up then it is an indication that no DMX connection has been made.  Seems like you need to concentrate on the Etherdongle for troubleshooting.

So even when I'm running the test function on the Express without using the ED then the DMX LED should still light up? Is that correct?

Also, I'm not sure if I did the setup in Vixen correctly. But if the magjack shows activity then it should be receiving something correct?

And if it's receiving something then it should also be sending out information so long as I have the right hex file flashed to the PIC correct?

And there is a plugin for vixen 2.1 in the wiki, is there also one for vixen 3?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, by peteywhit »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, »
Just because the EDT may be getting packets, it doesn't mean that it understands them or that they are properly addressed for it.  You need to make sure that Vixen is configured to output DMX universes 1 thru 4 and that the EDT has the DMX firmware.  Also make sure that you are not using a crossover cable between the ETD and the LE.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline peteywhit

Noobie question
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, »
That's why I'm not sure if it is a Vixen error or not because I have yet to find a thorough tutorial with my setup. And I have never done this before.

When I get home I will check the firmware on the ETD pic to confirm it is loaded but all I ever tried was the DMX. And the cables  connecting the PC to ETD, and ETD to LE are standard cat5 pinout.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, »
You may want to download and try X-lights with your setup.  It is fairly easy to setup and has a test feature.  Even if you want to use Vixen to create your shows, doing this will confirm if the problem is in the equipment or the software configuration.  If X-lights can't make it work either, there is a pretty good chance the issue is in the hardware and if it does, then the issue is in either the configuration or usage of Vixen.

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, »
I tried x-lights as well and couldn't get it to work. I'll post that configuration tonight as well. It may very well be a problem with the ETD. I'll post some more info tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, »
Wellllllll I read the firmware from the chip and it turns out the correct firmware must not have ever gotten flashed correctly.

When I tried to import the hex file into the Pickit 3 app, it says invalid hex.....

EDIT:

I tried importing the hex into MPLAB IDE to see what it would do, it says that it appears to be corrupted..

Also tried the pixelnet hex file and it too said invalid hex file.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, »
I would delete the existing file and download it again.  Make sure that you have the correct PIC selected when you attempt to flash it again.

Offline peteywhit

Noobie question
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, »
I would delete the existing file and download it again.  Make sure that you have the correct PIC selected when you attempt to flash it again.

After downloading the hex file 4 or 5 times, it finally recognized it and flashed successfully. Read from the pic and it was the same.

But still no dmx on the LE...Checking that hex file from the LE and it shows that the checksum is A569 instead of 6538...

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, »
I have downloaded the LE hex file numerous times and the checksum is different every time, so I guess I will keep trying until it matches.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, »
Just a few questions.  Where are you getting that Checksum number from.  If the screen shot is what you are using, that is the wrong chip.  It should be PIC32MX795F512L, not what it is showing on your screen shot.  The Pickit-3 does NOT auto-detect.  You have to tell it what PIC you are programming.

Offline peteywhit

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, »
For the ETD that is correct. I finally got that to upload to the ETD PIC. Now I am trying to flash the Express PIC and that PIC is PIC24FJ32GA002. For some reason, the Hex files are only partially downloading. The file size is different every time I try. Therefore the bits inside the file are different everytime, causing the checksum to be different every time. Don't know why it is only downloading part of the file. The hex files that are downloading are around 75-80 KB in size when it should probably be around 123KB...