Author Topic: Teach me the ways of SS  (Read 7928 times)

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
Re: Teach me the ways of SS
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, »
So if I wanted to see the show live, i would have to use a daughter board to play the show via an sd card? A big thing for me is seeing it live while I work on it. The display window in vixen 3 just isnt enough all the time.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, »
It really depends on what you mean by live.  Remember, the ETD is an Ethernet device so it does NOT have to be directly connected to the computer.  It just has to be on the same network.  There is no reason that you can't run the show from Vixen while you are working on it.  Just have the ETD and controllers hooked up and select the output to lights while running the show. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, »
Oh see I did not know about that. Like I said, ETD is alien to me

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, »
Just keep in mind that the EtherDongle is just an Ethernet dongle, (kinda where it gets its name).  It works for the most part just like a USB dongle.  The only real difference is how it connects to the PC.  Where a USB dongle connects directly to the PC and needs to be within a few feet of it, the ETD is an Ethernet device and can be anywhere on the network.

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, »
So If im using a ETD, I can control my show wirelessly?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, »
Well..... that depends on your wireless router.  E1.31 was initially developed using the multi-cast protocol and that is what the ETD uses.  Some wireless routers will broadcast it and others will not.  If your does, then you can control it wirelessly but it will put a heavy demand on your network.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, »
Yes, if you did it one of two ways:
1.  Have your Etherdongle plug into your network (switch, router, etc.) and then use a laptop with a wireless connection to the same network. Many people do this to "tweak" there shows from there front yards.
2. You can use a wireless access point with the ehterdongle provided your wireless network can transmit mulitcast AND your wireless access point can receive multicast.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, »
Thanks guys for the input! It is all making sense now and I am working on creating my first SS system.

What ATX power supply would work good for the hubs/zeus? I heard I could us 12v dc, but I want a nice power supply that can hold a semi heavy load. I have figured out that I will run my roof off of an active hub and my ground effects off of a Zeus 16 string. I wanted to see what you guys have done/used and go from there. I would like to use flexible power supplies that will supply enough power for a growing show.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, »
Any single rail power supply that has enough amperage to power your strings.  I used this one but it is overkill: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, »
Any single rail power supply that has enough amperage to power your strings.  I used this one but it is overkill: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What do you mean overkill? And would I need one supply per hub/zeus?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, »
1000W ATX supplies are a little on the $$$$$ side and if you don't need that much power, then it is a bit of overkill.  I would stay away from the "bargain" supplies.  With the rapidly changing demands we put on them during the show, the cheap ones tend to show you why they are so cheap which may not be so good for your show.  Yes, each of the units will need its own supply.  While there are ways to have them share a supply, it actually costs less to have two 700W supplies than one 1000W and the two 700's have more available power.

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, »
Would this be a good product to go with? Any other brands that might be suitable? I do not mind spend a little extra money on a supply that is going to last me a while.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, »
Nothing wrong with it, but it has a ton of extra connectors on it that you don't need and they will get in the way.  Connectors are one of the reasons I am going to switch all my hubs over to the 12v option.  Then I only have 2 wires going from my power supply (non-PC) to my boards.  I have 3 of these that I am currently using
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, »
Everything has it's good and bad points but when you go with the 12V only supplies, you need to add the 12V option to your equipment and you will need to put some HEAVY wire between your 12V supply and the device, especially if there is some distance between the supply and what you are powering.  All of the those connectors help to share the load and the ones that you don't use can be taken care of with a zip tie.

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, »
When it comes to the two options, which seems to be more durable, powerful, long lasting, etc? I know they both have their pros and cons, but which is..... a "safer" bet?