Author Topic: looking for an fm transmitter, can't go wrong with Ramsey Electronics!  (Read 1809 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
i bought a new fm30b transmitter kit from ramsey electronics directly off of ebay for the 2015 show.  it was a kit that i built myself and when i was done, i could not get the display working. talked with patrick on several occasions trying to trouble shoot and we were not able to get it resolved over the phone. he said send it in and we'll take a look at it. well, it was december the 6th, smack in the middle of showtime. no transmitter, no show!  thankfully i was able to follow the instructions and get the frequency that i wanted to tune in and work so that the show could go on. told him that it was working and that i didn't want to be down during showtime and he said no problem, send it in after the lighting season and we'll figure out why the display isn't working.  i sent the unit to ramsey on a monday, i had it back on friday!  i live in ky and they're in ny. the people there were awesome to work with! i am very happy with my ramsey transmitter, i had crystal clear signal to cars about 8 houses away and that was with the factory antenna, located in the back of my garage. that's also with no display to be able to set the power and volume settings. to all looking for an fm transmitter, i don't think you can go wrong with a ramsey, yes, it cost 160 bucks(200 with overnight shipping because my other transmitter went out and i had to get back up and running) but it was worth every penny. for what we spend on this hobby, 200 bucks to have quality sound is nothing!

just my two cents. thought i would share.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Love my two FM100B models.  Now you deserve a backup unit of some kind to save some stress in the future.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  Now you deserve a backup unit of some kind to save some stress in the future.

that is on the list for this year.
Florence, KY

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I've used a Ramsey 25B since I started in this hobby 8 years ago and have had success every year with it.  I bought mine from a guy on ebay who builds the kits and  sells them.  Back then I had never soldered a board and was not about to learn on a radio kit.  Not sure I would solder one today either.  I've been thinking about a backup since the transmitter is the one item for which I have no backup.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
I've used a Ramsey 25B since I started in this hobby 8 years ago and have had success every year with it.  I bought mine from a guy on ebay who builds the kits and  sells them.  Back then I had never soldered a board and was not about to learn on a radio kit.  Not sure I would solder one today either.  I've been thinking about a backup since the transmitter is the one item for which I have no backup.

Putting the kit together wasn't bad Jim. Took a while because of all the parts. I screwed up on one of the solder pads that connect the display(according to the tech at Ramsey, even though I couldn't see any damage with a magnifier) that is why the display didn't work. I would do it again for cost efficiency unless a used one at the right price comes available
Florence, KY

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
I built an FM100B from kit.  I did a section a day and it took about a week. Worked like a charm when I was done but it was pretty intense compared to and LE.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Never used a Ramsey, but I have been really happy with my EDM LCD.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline typoagain

I have a Ramsey FM 20 B that I built myself. In the mist of building it I screwed up at 3am one night and put a chip in backwards. Not just any chip but chip with 18 different solder points. Then trying to get the chip out I managed to break one of the traces on the board. I ended up screwing it up pretty good. The board is a lot harder to assemble than the stuff we get on this site. Everything's just a lot smaller. But in the end Ramsey fixed it for me for 20 bucks total shipping included. With service like that I would not meet at all scared to buy any product they have. Oh, the radio sounds great!
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline tbone321

Never used a Ramsey, but I have been really happy with my EDM LCD.

While EDM may make a good transmitter, their website is complete junk. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving