Author Topic: Lynx Express v5 Coop - Closed for Orders  (Read 49810 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Lynx Express v5 Coop - Closed for Orders
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2015, »
This has happened in the past and drilling was suggested then as well.  One other idea that worked for a few of us was the hot / cold method.  Put the connectors in the freezer and let them get cold.  When they are down to freezer temp, heat up the board around the connector mount point with a heat gun or even a hair dryer and see if the connector fits.  It will still be tight and in some cases it still may not fit but it is easy to try with nothing to lose.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Don Gillespie

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2015, »
Same problem here, tried two different sets of connectors, pins to large I am going to try some sand paper to work on the pins I will post my results, all in all the board is very nice to work with, I found soldering to be easy with lots of access on each pin. Lets just hope we can solve the pin issue quickly.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2015, »
We before and at least with that incident if I remember right some of the connector pins were larger for some reason. Even with it being the same part numbers. I believe we added a few thousands to the next pcb layout to try to prevent it but it apparently is not enough. Its strange as with the tens of thousands if them we have done it has only been certain coops that had this issue. I guess next time we order them I will increase the hole size again.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Don Gillespie

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2015, »
I found by using a bastard file it took me about ten minutes to modify the pins, taking extra precaution not to break any of the pins

Offline Don Gillespie

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2015, »
And this is the finished result

Offline tbone321

« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2015, »
It looks good, well done.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2015, »
Ok I have yet to start build out and this is my first time building the le. Can some one please tell me what these connector strips are that everyone is having issues with. Or better post a picture. That way I know exactly where I might run into problems when I start building tomorrow.

Thanks
Richard

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok I have yet to start build out and this is my first time building the le. Can some one please tell me what these connector strips are that everyone is having issues with. Or better post a picture. That way I know exactly where I might run into problems when I start building tomorrow.

Thanks
Richard
The connector strips are the green pieces and they each have 16 pins.

John

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2015, »
Thanks, that is the part I thought it was but wasn't positive.

Offline Don Gillespie

« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2015, »
Wow today was interesting, seemed every hole was too small, started at 1 pm it is now 5 pm not done yet, had to file down the 5 volt and 3 volt regulators, every single one of the leds did not seat either. every chip socket was a pita, pretty sure I have some that won't work.
Only two more boards to go I am definitely going to try each piece to make sure they fit, the first board I did the only thing tight was the connector strips,  I am hoping it was just a bad board.  >:(

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2015, »
Don, here I thought I was the only one. I had the same issue on my first board of five. 6 pin sockets were all to big, got them in but it was a fight. Triacs, 5V and 3V all had to be filed down.Aand as you said the LED's would not sit flush. I was expecting the green power connectors to act up so i had pre-emptively taken the dremel to those.

Now this was the first board I had ever done so I thought it was just me. Kinda glad to see others had the same problems.

I don't mind shaving the triacs and 3/5 volt pins or having the led sit a little high, but the 6 pin sockets were the biggest pain.

Anyone have any hints on those?

Thanks,
Richard