Author Topic: Wire choices  (Read 1137 times)

Offline DanHouston

Wire choices
« on: February 22, 2015, »
I did some searching on the forums here, and the wiki and found some options, but wondered if something like this would work as well:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This seems to be what most people use:

I like the idea in the fist one of having it inside a single jacket, so purely a cosmetic thing. I believe it is the same AWG and is stranded so as long as it is 22 AWG or better and stranded I should be good to go?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

Re: Wire choices
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, »
The only issue that you might have is that although stranded, I don't believe that the pairs are twisted and of not, there is the possibility if signal interference on long runs. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Re: Wire choices
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, »
I did some searching on the forums here, and the wiki and found some options, but wondered if something like this would work as well:

This seems to be what most people use:

I like the idea in the fist one of having it inside a single jacket, so purely a cosmetic thing. I believe it is the same AWG and is stranded so as long as it is 22 AWG or better and stranded I should be good to go?

They're a bit on the thin side as well. One is 22 and the other is 24 gauge, which is questionable for running pixels of any meaningful length. Get a 1000-foot box of CAT5 from Monoprice for less, in the colour of your choice to boot. Most CAT5 uses 24-gauge wires, but you can bundle them up for more "juice".