Author Topic: FM show information  (Read 1420 times)

Offline lrhorer

FM show information
« on: March 05, 2015, »
I've gotten some good feedback from folks here on a couple of different issues, so I am looking for ideas again.  This time I would like to ask folks who are using FM transmitters to get the music to folks driving by how you are letting the people know to turn on their FM radios and tune to the appropriate frequency?  My idea is to go to the plastic supply and buy a piece of Lexan about 8" x 3' or so, attach white LED tapes to the plate spelling out something like "Tune to FM 89.8", and put it out by the curb.  It doesn't sound very elegant to me, but it would get the job done, I think, and wouldn't be at all expensive.  Surely someone out there may have a better idea, though?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: FM show information
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, »
i went to a local sign shop and had them make me one out of coro. my sign is green with metallic red lettering. i just bought a cheap spot light socket from home depot and bought a spot light bulb. cost me 30 bucks. i would recommend leaving the frequency blank and using the white reflecting numbers used for your mailbox to spell out your frequency numbers. i had my station of 3 years consumed by a new radio station in the area so i had to change frequencies this past season. the white reflective letters work really well.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, »
My first sign was a piece of white coro with Tune to FM 99.1 on it in black.  I used a stencil to trace the letters and a black permanent marker to fill in the letters.  Then put a spotlight on it.  My second was a Holiday Coro tune to sign using incan lights, which I dimmed to 50 %, but it still consumed lots of electricity and gave off lots of heat.  I found slim LED lights at Big Lots and use those instead of the incans now.  It is still way too bright and I dim it down quite a bit.  My philosphy is that the sign is there to give the radio station and not to be a display item so I keep mine simple.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, »
What is "coro"?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, »
Coro is a ribbed plastic sign material.  All of those signs you see all over the place come election time are made from coro.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, »
i have my spot light at 25%. not too bright and illuminates the sign perfect
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, »
The last year I had my show up I went a little overboard.  I had an old 32" LCD tv that I wasn't using so I built a case for it out of 2x6 with a plexiglas front and back that screwed in place. I put the TV in the case along with 4 C9 bulbs to keep the case warm. I used a VGA over CAT5 converter to get video from an old XP computer I had in the house playing a slide show with not only the "Tune To" sign but other important info I wanted to convey.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, »
Well, that's just downright demented... and very cool.   :)

Hmm.  I threw out a perfectly functional 26" NTSC video monitor a couple of months ago.  Now I wish I hadn't.   :(