Author Topic: Lynx Express Enclosure  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Mattsmith

Lynx Express Enclosure
« on: March 07, 2015, »
I am wondering if any of you guys have multiple Lynx Express controllers in one enclosure?
I would like to put all 4 of mine in one enclosure and was wondering if any could share pictures if you have done this.

Thanks!

-Matt Smith

Offline arw01

Re: Lynx Express Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, »
There are a lot of folks on the lor side that do this in big boxes.  Someplace on the board here is a fellow that stacked a pair of Lynx in one enclosure, but that makes me nervous with that 120 flying around in there!

I've just got a number of CG-1500 cases a couple of which I can hide well, I find the extension cords cost more than the enclosures so like to get them closer to where they are going then run more cords!

(fixed for clarity)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, by arw01 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, »
As said, you would need a rather large enclosure.  Why would you want to put so many of them in a single enclosure?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As said, you would need a rather large enclosure.  Why would you want to put so many of them in a single enclosure?

64-string mega tree with super strings?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, »
That would be a somewhat valid answer but putting so many of them in a single enclosure does lead to other issues.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, »
I have 2 enclosures that I leave 3 and 4 LE's in year round but they are 4'x4' and I leave the LE's in CG1500 cases inside these anyway.  It only save me from having to take them down and store them.

I did this my first year when my controllers were newborns.  Now that the newness has wore off I wouldn't do it again.

I like them in single enclosures close to the props.  If a triac fails or something has an issue it's easy to pull one out and put another in.  When you have 4 all hard wired in a small enclosure and you have issues it's probably not going to be a fun day.

Spend the money on some CG1500 enclosures.  You will be happy in the long run.

Offline Exitfourxmas

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, »
That would be a somewhat valid answer but putting so many of them in a single enclosure does lead to other issues.

Just wondering what other issues?  ???

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, »
All of mine are in separate CG1500s and installed as close as possible to where the majority of the channels are being used.  I always have a spare available and it is easy to swap them in and out or access them for testing using the mode switch.  I have had to swap at least 1 LE the last couple of years mostly for stuck triacs or failed triacs.  I just fix it and make the fixed one the spare.  All of my LEs are several years old.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, »
Just wondering what other issues?  ???

Many of the issues are as described above.  Unless you are running all low powered stuff like LED strings, how are you going to get enough power into the box to power 4 loaded LE's.  Each controller has 16 channels which would mean 64 output cords which can get confusing, messy and heavy.  If the controllers are loaded down, they can get from warm to hot and 4 of them in a sealed case can get real hot if the case is not large enough.  If one of the controllers has a partial failure, it is much easier to replace the controller with a spare when they are in their own cases.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, »
i did this planning on adding one more lynx to box when i get a few minutes this is on a mega tree been using for three years 9600 incans attached 200 incans per channel no failures or heat related issues
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, by sabie »

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, »
I had 4 LE's in the Sterilite box in the picture. I just sold the LE's that went in it, so I can't show you what it looked like on the inside. The box is about 12x14x6. It ran mostly LED strings. Never had any issues with it.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, »
Here is the link to the picture of two express mounted in one case. I bought Nylon bolts form Home Depot and cut to the length I needed, then drilled a hole in the center and mounted. I have had no issues last year. I am all LED so the heat is not an issue and I live in California where it never rains (haha)