Author Topic: smart string hub behavior... does the hub regenerate the pixelnet?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
A hub receives pixelnet and can pass that pixelnet signal to other devices -- smart string controllers, and other hubs.

Q1: Does the hub regenerate the incoming signal to create a clean signal for another long run of twisted pair cable?

Its been claimed that Pixelnet can handle 300ft cable runs...

Q2: is 300ft  the distance between EtD and the Smart hub -- AND also another 300ft from the Smart hub to the SSC?   (600ft total through 1 hub -- from the EtD to the SSC...?)

Q3: What from the Smart hub to another another Smart Hub... is the pixelnet output port regenerated to provide another 300ft?  (900ft total through 2 hubs -- from the EtD to the SSC...?)

Q4: Does the Smart/Passive apply only to the DMX feature?  ...if the 16pt Smart Hub regenerates Pixelnet for the output port -- does the 16pt Passive Hub do the same?

Q5: Does the 4pt Passive hub regenerate Pixelnet? 
A5: No... the 4pt only has fuses, there is no RS485 chip, it does not allow the Pixelnet universe to be selected though a jumper -- only the first universe is used.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A hub receives pixelnet and can pass that pixelnet signal to other devices -- smart string controllers, and other hubs.

Q1: Does the hub regenerate the incoming signal to create a clean signal for another long run of twisted pair cable?

Its been claimed that Pixelnet can handle 300ft cable runs...

The active hub regenerates the signal which is then shared by the two output ports.

Q2: is 300ft  the distance between EtD and the Smart hub -- AND also another 300ft from the Smart hub to the SSC?   (600ft total through 1 hub -- from the EtD to the SSC...?)

Yes

Q3: What from the Smart hub to another another Smart Hub... is the pixelnet output port regenerated to provide another 300ft?  (900ft total through 2 hubs -- from the EtD to the SSC...?)

I am not sure that I understand the question but yes, you should be able to go 900ft from EDT to smart hub to smart hub to SSC.  All 4 universes are regenerated between the smart hubs but only the universe selected is regenerated between the hub and the controller.

Q4: Does the Smart/Passive apply only to the DMX feature?  ...if the 16pt Smart Hub regenerates Pixelnet for the output port -- does the 16pt Passive Hub do the same?

No, the passive hub is also passive on passing the signal to the next device.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
thanks for confirming!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

now I would not expect my 12v signal even over the cat 5 to be as "strong" 300' away as I do on a shorter line from the Active Hub to the SSC.  Don't know what the drop would be, if you go that far Steve would you mind measuring it?