Author Topic: ISO 15'-16' tall mega tree kit or good design  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Hamblinj

I have seen a few online, however, know that many of you have some great ideas and would love to see what you do?  I also have a 36" Coro star with dumb strings inside, so will need to mount that as well...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: ISO 15'-16' tall mega tree kit or good design
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, »
Mike (here at Austin ) got A nice setup in that 15-16ft range.  It used 5meter flex strips with banding material behind the strips. It used hooks to tie into a prefab crown at the top.  The kit used a pixlite controller but a zeus would work just as well.  I thought he got it at holiday coro.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It looks like the pole (trunk), crown, and bottom bar came from another source.
you might want to look at:

or
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, »
You might want to take a look at this thread.  The kits are not available yet, but very soon.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmoore

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, »
We are just about finished with the QuickTree mounting system:

I believe that once most people see it, they will go "well that seems obvious - why are they not all like this" - enough so that we decided to file a provisional patent on it.  It is super compact for a very tight top, works with the PixNode Strips (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) (clear or black), has a a huge range of string configurations within the two product SKU's and doesn't require any hooks or other hardware.  Plus it works with a bunch of pole and star configurations.

We hope to have this finished by the 25th and I'm sure you'll think it was worth the wait.

David

Offline Hamblinj

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, »
David,

Thank you, I just ordered a 20' mega kit, and have ordered the black strips from you guys as well, really interested in what the topper will look like, I have a picture in my head of an idea that would work. 

Looking forward to seeing the new product.

another question, when doing a full 360, do you recommend this with pixels? In my eyes, I would see that you would have to flip the strips in order to see them, vs a number of strands that can give the depth?

John

Offline dmoore

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, »
David,

Thank you, I just ordered a 20' mega kit, and have ordered the black strips from you guys as well, really interested in what the topper will look like, I have a picture in my head of an idea that would work. 

Looking forward to seeing the new product.

another question, when doing a full 360, do you recommend this with pixels? In my eyes, I would see that you would have to flip the strips in order to see them, vs a number of strands that can give the depth?

John

Generally, when designing a megatree you start with the design objectives which are viewing audience.  Within that there are two factors - degrees of viewing angle and distance to viewer.  If your viewers are only able to see 240 degrees of a tree, it makes no sense to make a 360 degree tree less the bricks on your house enjoy the pixel show.  You'd never (there rare cases of 360 pixels) face the pixels from the back to the front as this would distort the front layer with the back layer.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, »
IMO, if you have a sparse tree... maybe 16 strands or fewer, then a 360 might look better -- seeing 'through' the tree to get the spiral effect can justify it.

but if your tree is dense and or you won't see the pixels which are pointing away from the viewer -- then 360 has little value.

Offline Hamblinj

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, »
Steve, 

How many strands do you have in your tree, and how tall is it?