Author Topic: Does the USB port matter to the driver?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Does the USB port matter to the driver?
« on: June 15, 2009, »
I've just finished setting up my Vixen PC. It's an older PC running Win2K but I think it should do fine. My problem is I have had to stuff it into my computer desk and don't really have a lot of room to play with the ports. This machine has 6 usb ports available, so my question is:

Once the FTDI driver is installed, does it matter which port I plug the dongle into? For initial testing, I'd like to use the front ports, but after making sure it works, I'd like to move it around to the back. I know some software drivers are picky about sticking with the port it originally was configured for. Does this driver do that or does it recognized the device and allow me to move it at will? It really is a pain to pull this CPU out of the desk right now until I get rid of the older CPU sitting beside this one.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Does the USB port matter to the driver?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

I have plugged dongles into different ports on the same unit without any issues.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, »
Sometimes I've had it change the COM port on me when I moved the dongle from one USB port to another.  You can do one of two things at this point.  Change the COM port in vixen, or go into windows device manager, and go to the advanced port settings within the driver, and change the COM port there.

Doesn't seem like it does it all the time though.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, »
Wow Keith,

That avatar looks like a Nuclear Bill  !

I have 2 dongles. One was assigned port 3 when I plugged it in to test and the other I thought "same ciruit, probably won't be able to tell the difference" Right?  It assigned it port 4.  Interestingly enough when I go back and forth it knows. I wouldn't worry about it although if you have another USB plugged in Windows "should" assign the next available slot and this may provide some interesting result. Of course you can always go into device manager and change it.

Leon
Leon