Author Topic: Setting Up SanDevices in LOR  (Read 5221 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Setting Up SanDevices in LOR
« on: May 02, 2015, »
Hello everyone,

I'm wanting to add 4 SanDevice E682 controllers to my display but I'm not sure how to go about setting them up in LOR. I haven't yet purchased the controllers but I want to start sequencing. Is there a tutorial video or another thread I couldn't find explaining how to set everything up? What I've done on my own is set up my regular controllers on the "Regular" network and then for each SanDevice I put in their own network (Aux A, Aux B, Aux C, Aux D), and for each different different string I set it's own controller ID. Is this how it should be done or am I doing it all wrong?

I'll also need help when it comes to physically connect the devices to my show computer. I know they're plugged into a wireless router but I'm wondering if I can use the spare router I have so I won't have to interfere with our internet router. Does the router have to be connected to an internet source in order to work like it should?
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Setting Up SanDevices in LOR
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, »
I think asking on the san devices site might be a better way to get assistance with this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, »
I've posted this on a few different threads, I thought someone here might have some insight. I can delete the thread if need be.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, »
I don't think that there is any reason to delete anything.  I believe that RJ was just pointing iut that this forum may not be the best place to find an answer to this question.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, »
tbone is correct, I did not mean you can not post it. It just better chance posting there. I have no way to know where you have posted other than here.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'll also need help when it comes to physically connect the devices to my show computer. I know they're plugged into a wireless router but I'm wondering if I can use the spare router I have so I won't have to interfere with our internet router. Does the router have to be connected to an internet source in order to work like it should?

Is your show computer connected via wired or wireless to your main router?

You will need a wired connection from your show computer to the 682's.  This connection can go through your existing router, an Ethernet switch, or even another router (since you have a spare).

Can you give an idea of where all your 682's will be located in relationship to your existing router, show pc, and the distances involved? You may need a switch in addition to the router you have now to simplify wiring.

If you plan to use the 682's in multicast, many people create a separate network in order to keep show traffic off of their home network. Using unicast might not be a big deal, but it will depend on how much unicast traffic you have.

Offline ratroder

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, »
I have it done in my channel set up and run it through lor. Let me look tomorrow at it, I forget how I do off the top of my head. I am using lor s3

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, »
gadgetsmith, right now my computer is connected via WiFi but I'm considering getting a laptop to run the show because I use the desktop so much and I've had issues with the ether net port on the computer before. The e682 will run no more that 50ft from the router. I might just put the router in its own enclosure and set it outside with the controllers to make the distance between the router and the show controller even shorter,and the router would be 30ish feet from the show computer.

Another thing I did when setting up the channels was include about 90 channels of lynx express on the first universe. Would I be able to daisy chain those to the router or do I need to give them their own network and run them separately from the San device network?
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, »
Right now I assume you have a dmx dongle attached to your pc. This connects to your lynx express which controls your lights.  The RJ-45 connectors used on those two devices are transmitting dmx data. They are not compatible with the RJ-45 connectors you find on the 682, your router, or an Ethernet switch. They are two separate things.
Control for your lynx will stay the same, but you will need to hardwire your show pc to the 682 using Cat cable from the RJ45 on your 682 to the RJ45 on you Ethernet port or card on the back of your show pc. You do not want to send this information wirelessly as it will be unreliable.

How many pixels will you be controlling with your 682's?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, by gadgetsmith »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, »
Please lets get the terms correct.  The jacks on the USB dongle and the LE's are RJ45's, not Ethernet.  Ethernet is a protocol as is RS485 and they are not compatible with each other.  The LE's are DMX devices running on a RS485 system and if you plug one of these connections into your hub or switch, you could wind up damaging the hub.  When you say router, do you mean a switch?  If so, something seems wrong if you are only getting 50 feet.  Ethernet on cat5 should be good for 100 yards (300 feet).  I would take a look at the cable there.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, »
Please lets get the terms correct.  The jacks on the USB dongle and the LE's are RJ45's, not Ethernet.
Very true.  I've made corrections to my post.  Thanks.

It sounds like you want to place you router outside, and it will be about 30ft from your Show PC to the router.  The controllers will all be 50ft or less to the router.  With 4 682 controllers and one cat cable coming from your show PC, you will need at least 5 open RJ45 LAN jacks on the back of your old router to connect everything together, otherwise you'll need an ethernet switch, which come in 5-port, 8-port and higher.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, »
Ok, just to clear up what I was trying to say, I was wanting to see if I could run my Lynx express equipment on Universe 1 channels 1-87 AND be able to run my first e682 starting on universe 1 channel 88; but it sounds like that won't be possible even with a hardwire? So to keep things simple I'll keep my Lynx equipment on their own network with the DMX dongle that I've been using for the past few years and I'll let the SanDevice equipment have their own network to run from.
I've attached a picture explaining how I would set up the controllers, does it look accurate to what I would do?

How many pixels will you be controlling with your 682's?
Right now it looks like it's going to be somewhere around the 3,500 mark between the 4 e682, but I need to go take measurements of the house to get exact numbers.

When you say router, do you mean a switch?  If so, something seems wrong if you are only getting 50 feet.  Ethernet on cat5 should be good for 100 yards (300 feet).  I would take a look at the cable there.
Yes, I mean switch, which would be the extra wifi router I have which would make it a switch right? When I said 50 feet I mean that is all I'll need, I don't see myself needing 100 ft running between the switch and the controllers.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, »
That setup should work just fine.  A wifi router is in fact a router that probably has a built in switch.  You could use the built in switch portion of the router but routers do have some configuration issues that a plain switch does not have.  A 5 port 10/100 switch is much more compact and they are around $20. 

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, »
Ok, just to clear up what I was trying to say, I was wanting to see if I could run my Lynx express equipment on Universe 1 channels 1-87 AND be able to run my first e682 starting on universe 1 channel 88; but it sounds like that won't be possible even with a hardwire? So to keep things simple I'll keep my Lynx equipment on their own network with the DMX dongle that I've been using for the past few years and I'll let the SanDevice equipment have their own network to run from.
I've attached a picture explaining how I would set up the controllers, does it look accurate to what I would do?

Right now it looks like it's going to be somewhere around the 3,500 mark between the 4 e682, but I need to go take measurements of the house to get exact numbers.

That picture is exactly what you want to do.

From the hardware side you can certainly setup the first 682 to start at Universe 1 channel 88.  From the software side I'm no expert as I don't use LOR, but in taking a quick glance it looks like you'll need to start the first 682 controller at Universe 2 channel 1.  Maybe someone else can chime in about that.  There is certainly nothing wrong with starting at Univ 2, channel 1, and leaves channels open on Univ 1 for expansion.

3500 pixels! Wow, no fooling around there, that's just shy of 21 universes.

Yes, I mean switch, which would be the extra wifi router I have which would make it a switch right? When I said 50 feet I mean that is all I'll need, I don't see myself needing 100 ft running between the switch and the controllers.

If you use your router and only use the LAN ports, you are effectively using it as a switch.  You want to check yours though as you need 5 LAN ports, and most routers (that I know of anyway) only have 4.  If this is the case, you can by just a switch with 5 ports fairly inexpensively.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, »
I don't want to have any issues with the router so I'll probably end up getting a switch just to make things easier (I'd rather take the easy road instead of using the router which could cause problems). I have been considering using different software other than LOR but I'm not sure which software I'd use. I'm thinking about possibly switching to xLights/Nutcracker but I'm not sure yet. I've always used LOR and I'm so tuned into it that it'd be difficult for me to switch to any other software.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights