Author Topic: I won this, is it good for anything?  (Read 8754 times)

Offline jstorms

I won this, is it good for anything?
« on: May 04, 2015, »
I won this Raspberry Pi 2 kit at work today. Is it useful for anything ?? :) :) :)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: I won this, is it good for anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, »
Useful for many things.  I have several in my house used as AirPlay receivers/controls/monitors my garage doors and also used as a show player for my lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, »
are you kidding?

its worth $10 if you bring it to our next austin meetup. :)

we've been using these to host FPP... it can run your LOR shows, and your DMX too.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, »
The PI 2 is a fairly powerful little computer.  It's only real downfall is that it doesn't have a SATA interface but other than that, it has a 4 core processor and 1G of ram,  It was designed as a learning platform but this version goes way beyond that.  It runs various versions of Linux and even MS is creating a version of Windows 10 for it.  As for light automation, it can be used to control your show using software like X-Lights or FPP or any other software that runs on Linux.  It looks like you have just about everything you need to get it going.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jstorms

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, »
First evening with the Raspberry Pi 2 ended with the rainbow screen of death. Tonight we will try again. #Determination

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, »
Make sure that you use the correct tools to format and copy the OS image to the SD card.  The built in windows tools don't work well for this.  Also make sure that you are using the correct version of whatever version of Linux you are using.  Unlike the versions for a PC that can determine the processor and set up for it, the ones for the PI are series specific to the processor it is using.  You need to make sure that the OS you loaded is for the PI 2 and not the standard PI.   They have different processors and the one for the original PI will not run on the PI 2.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, »
An education.  And many other things.  It looks like you are getting some of the first so that's a great start.  The rest will come.

I can't wait to see the how to videos.  ;D

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, »
The PI 2 is a fairly powerful little computer.  It's only real downfall is that it doesn't have a SATA interface but other than that
I know this is over a year old, but I just came across it.  There are lots of add-on boards for the Raspberry Pi. including this one that provides a SATA port:

It also provides WiFi (redundant with the Pi 3, except it boasts an external antenna for greater reach), SPDIF, Audio inputs, an IR interface, a Real time Clock, Bluetooth, 3 additional USB ports, and flexible power inputs (6 - 21V) on a coaxial connector.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, »
Sure, there are boards for the PI that do many things now that didn't exist back when this was written such as this board so what exactly is your point? 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, »
And you are responding to a year old post.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA