Hardware > Lynx USB DMX Dongle

USB Dongle Flashed with Pixelnet Need help Trouble shooting - *SOLVED*

(1/7) > >>

Dholley:
I have been troubleshooting my pixelnet devices and smart strings for over a week and I now call uncle, I will be happy to share my troubling shooting history and the pictures of my devices, but in effort that might save time for everyone, I with like to start with this information:

The USB Dongle worked fine operating my DMX devices and the green light was on all the time. I flashed the dongle with pixelnet and no longer get a green light.

I connected the pixelnet dongle  to  my 16 port active HUB, connect my smart string controller V4 and placed in program mode, I measured approximately 12 volts to the ssc controller,  I'm using the latest SSC Utility. The utility states it's transmitting a signal but no lights are flashing. I do get a DMX signal out from the HUB for what it's worth.

I have flashed and re-flashed the dongle and ssc, I've tried different pixel strings, I've tired different ssc's, I've tried a diffent computer . I'm about to lose my mind.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated and based on my current level of frustration I've decided to put away all sharp objects.

All the Best!

Danny

Dholley:
Additional information, I bought the smart string controller's from another DLA member with the cat 5 female pigtails type A attached. The cat 5 cable that I used to connect   the controller to the HUB was type B.

I assume this is a problem. Would some Please advise of the corrective measure and what damage I may have done to the Smart String Controllers. Additionally, does it matter if I use type A or B Cat 5 To connect the dongle to the Active Hub?

What a humbling experience. :(

tbone321:
Type A and Type B only refers to the colors attached to the pins.  The pin to pin connections on the two sides of the cable are identical and even though they use different wire pairs to connect the pins, the pins paired are also the same.  IIRC, AT&T came up with type A and was not all that willing to share the configuration so others came out with type B and made it a public configuration.  If you are getting a DMX signal out of the hub, that indicates that the hub is configured properly and that the DMX dongle is also functioning.  The issue is either in the string controllers, the nodes themselves, or there could still be an issue with the hub.  I would post a picture of the component side of the hub as well as a picture of a controller and the connection from the controller to the node.  How are you connecting the nodes to the controller? 

Dholley:
I have attached the pictures as suggested. I'm attaching the nodes with a 3 pin male connector to female connector attached to the board. I have matched the wire connections on the board to that of the node, connecting on the big chip side of the node.

tbone321:
Ok, if you are saying that the pigtails are of type A, then you are correct and that is the problem.   Unfortunately, the manual for the SSC does not distinguish between type A and B pigtails and they are different.  The orange and orange/white wires do not connect to the same pins on a type A as they do on a type B.  While this is not an issue when using a complete cable, it is one when cutting an end off of one and basing your connections on wire color.  In this case, if the pigtail is really a type A, then the orange and green pairs need to be swapped on the controller connections (orange for green and orange/white for green/white).  I'm not sure if this damaged the controller, but I would not connect any more of them to the hub until this issue is corrected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version