Author Topic: DMX equipment question  (Read 3138 times)

Offline TAdamsOK

DMX equipment question
« on: July 10, 2015, »
Hello all!  It's been a while since I have posted, but I had a couple ideas I wanted to see if anyone had tried yet.  I was thinking about putting a couple machine/movable heads, like an ADJ INNO Spot or Chauvet Intimidator Spot under my front porch roof.  Has anyone tried to run something like these off of the conductor with a smart hub generated DMX?  If memory serves, there is a slight difference in the refresh rate or frames per second between the pixelnet and DMX, and I'm not sure how the hardware would handle that.  I would have to make a conversion cable to 3pin DMX, but that isn't a big deal.  Or would I be better off getting an Enttech DMX USB dongle to handle that part of the show and revert to running from a computer?  I think LSP should handle them both together pretty well.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: DMX equipment question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, »
Three days with no answer ... I'll take a flyer ...

The DMX that comes out of the Smart Hub should be up to spec, or it wouldn't run Lynx equipment. So third-party equipment run through a hub should be fine (with the cable conversion you know you'll need).

At this juncture in the hobby, the last thing you'd want to do is to buy an Enttec Pro.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, »
That's pretty much what I was thinking.  All signs point to it should work.  I guess another option is the lynx usb dongle with a conversion cable.  Not sure why I hadn't considered that.

When i get something ready to test I'll have the report back.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, »
If I may I would like to join in on this discussion (and if if this is considered hijacking the thread please let me know and I will delete and repost as it's own thread) I am trying to figure out how to do something like this... in my case I have a 16 port Active Hub (with the dmx out) and a chauvet fog machine with dmx in.... I am trying to figure out how to wire this up correctly....

Understand that I am a complete noob and suffer from a lack of understanding when it comes to wiring, so if anyone has thoughts to share please try to dumb it down  ;D

Trying to figure out how to get the Cat5:DMX out on the active hub (bottom right of picture)

to convert over to dmx input on fogger

using either the 3 or 5 pin dmx.

from what I understand so far it has something to do with this:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, »
You will need to make an adapter to connect from the DMX out on the hub to the 3 pin jack on the fogger.  Just use the "3 Pin XLR to Lynx RJ-45" diagram on your supplied link for the pin connections. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tindivall

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, »
thanks for the response tbone, seems you are always helping me out!

I know that is what I need to do, just not sure how I got about doing it

For instance, say I purchased one of these:

How do I know what wire would be going to what pin?  I am assuming there is no way to know for sure...

So then do I buy something like this:

And then in some way strip the wires and re-connect?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, »

I've used the first one, and I've made the second.

you connect the cat5 cable into the rj45 connector in the hub marked "DMX" and the other end of the cat5 into the adapter.

the standard for the rj45 connector is to use pin1 (orange/white) for dmx+ and pin2 (solid orange) for dmx-.  there is no need to connect ground.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, »
I believe that RJ is using standard wiring for DMX on JR45 connectors.  This is a good thing,  You should be able to use either one of these adapters and they should just plug in.  The first one has the advantage by not having its own cable.  You can simply use a standard Ethernet cable of whatever length that you need between the hub and the fogger.  As Steve said, connect the adapter to the 3 pin connection of your fogger and then just connect the required length Ethernet cable between that adapter and the DMX output port on the hub.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, »
SWEET!!!

I was thinking I had to some special type of wiring.... in other words making it harder than it had to be!

Thanks Steve & TBone!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, by tindivall »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, »
I remember when you bought that fogger.  How is it working for you?  I will be looking into purchasing a fogger next year and want one a bit better than the ones you see in the big box stores.  I like the DMX control capability.  Would you recommend this fogger?

Offline tindivall

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, »
Sadly I didn't get to use it last year (time and $$ constraints)... didn't even get a show up till Christmas.

But it does a great job of filling up my garage and making it look like the house is on fire :P

I will finally be able to use it this year so will know more then.

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, »
And how does the work in cooler outdoor weather?  Does the liquid freeze and how oftwn do you need to fill it up?  I was thinking about fog as well but wasn't sure if it would work in December.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, »
That really depends on both the machine AND the fog juice that you are using.  The low cost machines that you see in the big box stores around Halloween may not work as well in really cold weather (heater is switched,not regulated or all that powerful).  Fog juice is inexpensive and easy to get.  I would buy a bottle of what you want to use and put it in the freezer and see what happens to it.  Even though most are water based, the other chemicals should stop it from freezing unless it is super cold. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, »
FYI  Fog fluid is mostly water and glycerin/glycol with a few other trade secret ingredients. Although some (such as Froggy's) don't use glycerin or glycol. Bottom line all are WATER based so at colder temperatures the water will freeze. Way to get around this, make a box to house your fog machine and put a heater in it. 
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, »
The coolant in most cars is also water based and yet, we can still park them outside in the winter.  Also as you said, different types use different additives and the type and amount of these additives will affect the freezing point of the fluid.  Most freezers are set to or can go to and below zero degrees.  This makes an easy test to see of the fluid can handle the temp's you are expecting.  Fluid freezing in the foggers container will not cause much harm but freezing in the fogger pump, internal lines, or nozzle can and if the fluid freezes within your expected temps, don't use it unless you intend to bring in the fogger every night after the show.