Author Topic: Colors Washed Out  (Read 3326 times)

Offline LasVegasF250

Colors Washed Out
« on: February 02, 2015, »
Built 4 Aethers from the last coop. 3 of the 4 are working fine by one of them the colors seem washed out. I have reflowed all solder. Double checked all solder joints for bridges. Programed PIC with the test firmware and it goes through each color but red, blue and green are washes out, like the white is always on. This was the first one of the 4 I built and I did solder the LD33v in incorrectly but it in there correct now. Any thoughts?

Offline caretaker

Re: Colors Washed Out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, »
The white LM2941 is not getting 3.3 volts.  Try reflashing the pic., check the connection from the pic to the white LM2941.  If your getting 3.3 volts from pin 2 of the LM2941 to ground then the LM2941 is bad OR you have short between pins 4 and 5.  The Aether works by provinding 3.3 volts to the LM2941 to turn it off then when the PIC drops low it the LM2941 turns on.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, »
Thank you. I will test this tonight.

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, »
The white LM2941 is not getting 3.3 volts.  Try reflashing the pic., check the connection from the pic to the white LM2941.  If your getting 3.3 volts from pin 2 of the LM2941 to ground then the LM2941 is bad OR you have short between pins 4 and 5.  The Aether works by provinding 3.3 volts to the LM2941 to turn it off then when the PIC drops low it the LM2941 turns on.

I tested the PIC in another Aether and it worked fine. Re flashed is anyway with test flash tested in know good Aether and it worked fine, it ran through the test colors. I then put the PIC in the Aether I'm having the issue with, tested pin 2 on the White LM2941 no voltage. Tested all the other LM2941 and I get the 3.3V off and on. So I replace the LM2941 on the White but the problem is still there and the voltage on pin 2 is still not changing from 0 volts. What should I test next?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, »
Follow the trace from PIN 2 of the LM2941 to the PIC. If you get 3.3 volts from that pin on the PIC then you have a bod solder joint at the PIC OR that is a short to ground.
Jeff Squires

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, »
That was it. I had a folded pin on the PIC socket. Thank you your help! <res.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, »
That was it. I had a folded pin on the PIC socket. Thank you your help! <res.
Great to hear you got it working!
Jeff Squires