Author Topic: flashing an old arrow sign  (Read 2531 times)

Offline therealbigjim

flashing an old arrow sign
« on: August 10, 2015, »
I would like to make a chase then flash for an old arrow sign I got for the mancave. I have found on/ off flashers for arrow signs but I kind wanted more ( it is about $45 on e-bay). Commercial solid state or mechanical flashers with more then 2 channels can run $400 and up.  I am hoping to create or  buy a small unit that I could place in the sign that will hang from the 14' celling. It wont be on all the time and I may only light one side. I want to use some old style Edison bulbs and some faded color bulbs in the arrow end. As a side note the city outlawed the flashing signs and portable advertising back in the 90's so no around here has that kind of stuff anymore.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: flashing an old arrow sign
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, »
How many channels do you need?  You could always use a SSR4 or 2 of them if you need more than 4 channels. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, »
I am thinking 7 channels, six singles and  1 for the 3 lights in the arrow head. I had not considered the ssr 4. I was afraid I might have to use one of my lynxes. Can I tie them together to get a chase or would I need a DMX player to run it?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, »
SSR4 (with DMX)  needs a DMX source to control it...

SSR4 (without DMX, or DMX turned off), would need a logic circuit (or switch circuit if you really wanted to control it by hand) to control the ons / offs
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline emcee

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, »
Could also go old school. Use low rpm gear motor to drive a shaft with cama operating momentary switches

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, »
Kinda like a distributor in a car, but way slower
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, »
I am thinking 7 channels, six singles and  1 for the 3 lights in the arrow head. I had not considered the ssr 4. I was afraid I might have to use one of my lynxes. Can I tie them together to get a chase or would I need a DMX player to run it?

You would probably need a DMX player to run it but if you happen to have a Panther DMX player lying around, that would be a perfect fit.  If not, FPP would also do the job during the off season. 

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, »
I would like to build the unit and forget it, just have it work when I turned it on. Kinda hate putting a ffp up there to sit but it gives ne an excuse to upgrade and get new stuff. Or I could have a cat 5 cable running along the 110 power cord and have a the "brain box" on my work bench. I feel like a am wasting a piece of gear to have it run a repeating chase and flash, but its cheaper then a on/off flasher and can do stuff that $1500 commercial controller could do.  I have looked into the mechanical option but stopped when I saw the prices...I have access to a machine shop with several cnc mills and could have the cams made for some beer money, But I was hoping to find a less involved method, between work, my old car, some travel and light show stuff I have a very full schedule from now till Christmas. I don't have any ssr 4s or a panther player may see if I can pick some up in the for sale area.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, »
Well, your not really wasting the gear, you are just exercising it during the off season.  Nice garage by the way.  What is the time frame on the car?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, »
Here is a couple options:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  runs at 120 volts
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  would requires 12 volt relays (solid state or mechanical)

Jeff Squires

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, »
Thank you for the input. Tbone the car may be done early in the spring, depending on when I can get an empty paint booth. Currently the plans are for a 393 sbf with a tremec 5 spd. I am currently adding mini tubs then new quarters and a roof panel. its a huge money pit and I could not afford it if I was not building it myself.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, »
It looks good so far but they sadly really can't be used as a daily driver, way too much risk.  Post a few pics when you get it back together.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, »
SSR4 (with DMX)  needs a DMX source to control it...

Yeah, though that would be pretty easy with an Arduino ...

\dmc

Offline vttinman

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, »
You could build a Johnson Counter circuit with a 555 timer and drive Triacs (or relays) from the output: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, »
Thx Guys, Lots of good choices I will dig into several over the coming weeks and keep you all posted.