Author Topic: Calculating Watts  (Read 978 times)

Offline Dholley

Calculating Watts
« on: October 07, 2015, »

I hope this is not a stupid question. I'm trying to calculate the total amount of Amps for my display. In the wiki it shows that for a smart string of 128 nodes the approximate amps per max nodes is 3.795.

To calculate watts in this case I assume it would be 4 amps (rounded) times 12 volts equal 48 watts.  With that in mind do I just make sure that I do not exceed 80% of my power supply?

My Power supply is 800 watts, should I figure it will pull approximately 7 amps (800/120 = 6.66 amps).

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Offline njKeever

Re: Calculating Watts
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, »
Use the wiki document to calculate your total amperage. Then look at the specs for your PSU. Make sure it is a single 12v rail and look at published amps at 12v. As long as you are drawing less amps than the PSU can output, you are good to go.

Offline tbone321

Re: Calculating Watts
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, »
Remember that the 80% rule applies to a constant current draw so unless you intend to keep all of your nodes at full power and all white, they will not be pulling the listed max current.  As long as you don't exceed the power supplies rated capacity, you should be good to go but I would still figure in a little headroom just to be safe.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving